Legal CounselPosition Status: Full-Time Regular
Department: Legal Services
Employee Group: Exempt
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our Legal Services Department is seeking a Legal Counsel to join our team of five lawyers and two administrative staff.
You are called to the Bar in British Columbia and have 5+ years of experience in one or more of the following practice areas: local government, procurement/construction, environmental, regulatory, First Nations, or corporate/commercial.
The Legal Counsel reports to the Senior Legal Counsel and falls within our Professional / Technical, Level 5B job family.
- Provides drafting and negotiation advice on various contracts, including procurement documents, construction contracts, services and supply agreements, and other corporate /commercial agreements.
- Provides legal advice and assistance for developing and drafting new bylaws and regulations, and periodically updating and amending existing bylaws.
- Works to ensure Metro Vancouver satisfies its legislative obligations, reduces its exposure to risk and negative organizational impacts, and enters into commercial terms that optimize the corporation’s objectives.
- Conducts research on a variety of relevant topics and stays current on changes in laws. Acts as a corporate resource and provides consistent and reliable advice on federal and provincial legislation applicable to solid waste, sewerage and drainage, water, and other regulatory services, including the Local Government Act, Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District Act, Greater Vancouver Water District Act, Community Charter, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, B.C. Human Rights Code, Residential Tenancy Act, Environmental Management Act.
- Makes recommendations in consideration of all relevant information including facts, legal principles, relationships and the clients’ objectives. Advises clients of risks and provides options and alternatives that are clear and responsive to client departments’ needs.
- Provides legal advice regarding environmental issues, including regulatory proceedings, contaminated sites, environmental risk exposure and management, emergency systems and emergency response, and environmental incident investigations.
- Assists decision making by providing comprehensive risk assessment and liability advice. Reviews appropriate risk assessment and policies to address compliance with laws and regulations. Provides drafting advice for strategic plans, attends internal workshops in the early stages of a project to offer legal perspective.
- Provides legal advice regarding dispute resolution and litigation in a variety of subject matters, including contracts, negligence, bylaw enforcement, residential tenancy, and others. In conjunction with external counsel, assists with drafting court documents and attends at regulatory hearings, mediations, and court proceedings on behalf of Metro Vancouver.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Bachelor of laws degree or equivalent degree. 5+ years of recent and relevant experience as a practicing lawyer.
- Practicing member in good standing of the Law Society of British Columbia.
- Sound experience with local government, procurement/construction, environmental, regulatory, First Nations, or corporate/commercial law. In-house legal counsel experience, particularly in the local government context, is an asset.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively listen, persuade others, and resolve complex problems using a high degree of independent judgment; experience drafting and revising legal documents.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- provide objective opinions and explain options and alternatives that are clear and responsive to clients’ issues and needs;
- interpret legislation and provide reliable and consistent advice. Experience with federal and provincial legislation applicable to local government, solid waste, sewerage and drainage, water, and other regulatory services, including the Local Government Act, Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage Act, Greater Vancouver Water District Act, Community Charter, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Human Rights Code, Residential Tenancy Act, Environmental Management Act, is an asset;
- work under broad direction without formal guidelines or precedent and use significant independent judgment to provide advice to clients on issues of major consequence for the organization;
- meet challenging timelines and objectives and demonstrated persistence in overcoming obstacles;
- build and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts under circumstances that may be highly politicized and sensitive;
- navigate disagreements, provide effective guidance and propose relevant and practical solutions in adversarial situations;
- identify areas of risk or opportunity and propose solutions to resolve issues in the best interests of the organization;
- understand and evaluate the long-term impact of decisions; and
- analyze and interpret complex issues where considerable variation in interpretation is possible.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by September 12, 2019.