Program Assistant III
Program Assistant IIIRequisition ID: 14156
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Working closely with the community centre recreation team and partner organizations, the Program Assistant III, Moresports Hub Developer, performs routine recreational and introductory recreation programming work. This role will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and great insight on career opportunities within recreation. This position is ideal for an individual with recreation-related experience seeking a new challenge in community-based grass roots sport programming. This position will have its own portfolio, including planning, organizing and implementing Out of School Time (OST) programming for secondary and elementary students in the Mt. Pleasant Community School Hub and coordinating and overseeing coaches and volunteers in the delivery of those programs.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Assistant III position will be responsible for assisting with the development, implementation, administration, and coordination of Moresports programs and special events; recruiting, training and scheduling volunteers (most of them youth); liaising and communicating with program partners and stakeholders (e.g. representatives of schools/neighbourhood houses/community centres, volunteers, program participants and parents, etc.); preparing and distributing program information, promotional materials and registration forms; performing administrative duties, such as data entry (in ActiveNet), managing program budgets, records and report management; and other related duties as required.
The Program Assistant III will be focused on the Mount Pleasant Community Centre's Midtown Moresports Program. This position will be approximately 20 hours per week.
Education and Certifications:
- Completion of an approved diploma course in recreation and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A Driver's License for the Province of British Columbia, where applicable Standard or Emergency First Aid with CPR-C
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with children and youth in a recreational setting is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge of the safety practices, policies, regulations and rules applicable to the work performed.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of program leadership and development.
- Sound knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of recreational programs and activities as related to the work performed.
- Some knowledge of basic marketing and advertising.
- Ability to coordinate, deliver and participate in various special events and oversee activities and programs offered in an assigned area.
- Ability to plan, assign, review and supervise the work of one or more Contract Instructors.
- Ability to recruit, screen, interview, train, supervise and evaluate volunteers.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent communication and customer service skills and exercise consistency and courtesy when handling day-to-day interactions.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to perform a variety of routine administrative and clerical tasks related to the work performed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to demonstrate tact and diplomacy.
- Working knowledge of ActiveNet, POS, Photo ID, MS Office software products is desirable.
A Police Record Check is a requirement for this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to the position.
The work schedule will be from September to June, hours and days to be determined. Applicants must be available to work Saturdays.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: September 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-016: $26.36 to $30.98 per hour
Application Close: August 18, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.