Engineering Assistant III (Utilities Coordinator)
Engineering Assistant III (Utilities Coordinator)Requisition ID: 13956
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Technical Supervisor, Utilities Management Branch, this Engineering Assistant III position works with a team of technical staff from the Utilities Management Branch to review and process plans for third party utility work on City streets.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with utility companies, developers, contractors and other City departments to review, approve and coordinate utility construction on City streets ensuring proposed utility construction is designed and built to City utility standards and problem solves any conflicts that may arise. Reviews and coordinates utility construction drawings for all aspects of utility planning including dealing with conflicts as they pertain to the different projects.
- Coordinates and manages the construction of internally and externally delivered infrastructure utility projects, with a focus on minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public.
- Ensures existing policies and procedures are adhered to and assists in establishing new policies to improve Branch processes and construction standards which are reflected in the Street Utilities By-Law, Utilities Design and Construction Manual and several Municipal Access Agreements.
- Assists in supervision and provides direction to the EA II and Engineering Technician I (Utilities Inspector) regarding the utility approval and construction process.
- Assists in the field inspection of utility drawings and construction and development projects as they relate to utility company facilities, construction schedules and traffic coordination.
- Researches and provides technical and other information regarding utility infrastructure for the public, City staff and private sector organizations.
- Provides written correspondence as required and maintains accurate records and files from different databases.
- Performs related work as required including attending meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by relevant advanced technical courses in computerized drafting plus related experience with heavy civil construction, preferably in a utilities/municipal setting or, an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Graduation from an Institute of Technology with a Diploma in Civil Engineering or Construction Management would be an asset.
- Experience with interpreting and summarizing engineering drawings and legal agreements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook,) AutoCAD, Adobe, and GIS required
- Proficiency with SAP, POSSE, and Bluebeam is an asset.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills are required including the ability to deal effectively and tactfully and maintain cooperative relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to enter projects into PlanIT software
- The ability to review, analyze, assess and interpret plans, specifications, legal agreements, and other material related to the work.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment with minimal direction or supervision and work effectively with frequent interruptions and changing priorities under tight timelines.
- Occasional local area travel is also a requirement of this position. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of Engineering Services and applicants must be willing to apply for membership in the City’s Car-Share program.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-021: $32.25 to $37.97 per hour
Application Close: August 18, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.