Utility Operator I
Utility Operator I
HOURS OF WORK:
7:00 am – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday
$31.20/hour as per Collective Agreement
As soon as possible
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Operations, Manager of Operations – Utilities, and Chief Operator, the incumbent will assist in the construction and maintenance of sanitary and storm sewer lines, water lines, chlorinators and associated fittings, fixtures, appurtenances, structures as required by the City. Must be energetic, enthusiastic and committed to operating multiple utility systems.
- Level 1 Water Distribution System
- Level 1 Wastewater Collection System
- Level 1 Water Treatment System.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Check equipment and service with fuel, oil, air, coolants and all other pertinent items and report any irregularities.
- Construct, inspect, repair, maintain and install all types of water pipes, fittings, hydrants, valves, relief valves, sewer lines, manholes, lift stations, storm lines and catch basins.
- Arrange for various materials and equipment to perform the job.
- Maintain records as required.
- Determine procedure to construct, maintain and repair sanitary sewer lines, storm sewer lines and water mains and all related equipment.
- Observes all safety precautions and requirements as required by WorkSafeBC, the City and other regulatory agencies.
- Operate and carry out routine inspections and care for all tools and equipment required to perform water, sewer and storm sewer related tasks.
- Operate, maintain, and inspect chlorination systems.
- Conduct water sampling as required by the City and public health agencies.
- Maintains water quality as per BC drinking water regulations and adheres to Interior Health requirements, following AWWA standards.
- Required to work in confined spaces. Must follow proper policy and procedures for work in confined spaces.
- Required to work some scheduled overtime.
- Grade 12
- BC class 3 driver’s license with air brake endorsement.
- Wastewater Collection – Level 1
- Water Distribution – Level 1
- Water Treatment – Level 1
- Chlorine Handler’s course
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods certificate
Experience in the operation of pick-up trucks, dump trucks, combination vacuum/rodder trucks and loaders. Also with small tools and small engine tools for working on water, sewer and storm pipes and chlorinators, basic survey and measuring equipment, confined space entry apparatus, shoring, air testing equipment, pipe and metal locators, sewer TV camera, propane torches, hand operated compactors and pipe laying equipment, personal computer, cell phone, 2-way radio, leak detection equipment, and proper use of P.P.E. Preference will also be given to candidates with experience in heavy equipment and municipal water and sewer systems, construction.
For external candidates, qualifications must be outlined with verification of education/certification attached.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a Job Application Form or covering letter, resume, and Driver’s Abstract. Please quote the competition number. Applications will be received up to 3:00 pm local time, Friday, August 23, 2019 and must be addressed in confidence to:
Manager of Human Resources
City of Kimberley
340 Spokane Street, Kimberley BC V1A 2E8
E-mail: email@example.com (Submissions in Word or .pdf formats only)
All applications and enquiries will be treated in strict confidence.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The personal information gathered will be used solely for application selection in accordance with the British Columbia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.