Engineering Technologist (Certified)
Engineering Technologist (Certified)
Situated at the confluence of the mighty Fraser River and the smaller Coquihalla River, the District of Hope (www.hope.ca) is host to some of Western Canada’s most breath taking scenery. Part of the Fraser Valley Regional District, it supports a full-time population of approximately 6,200 residents and offers a balanced combination of affordable housing, retail and service sectors, plus an abundance of world recognized recreational opportunities that provide a strong base for sustainable growth. Known for its beauty, unassuming charm and untapped potential, this magnificent rural “can do” community is recognized as one of the best locations to live, work and play and its social services, infrastructure, and lifestyle alternatives provide an excellent quality of life.
The District of Hope is positioning itself to be a resilient community with a strong asset management program in place and is seeking applications from candidates with proven skills, qualifications and abilities for the position of Engineering Technologist (Certified). Under the immediate direction of the Director of Operations, the Engineering Technologist is responsible for the coordination and inspection of municipal capital projects and development activities as they relate to roads, water, wastewater and facilities. This position will review preliminary and detailed design drawing submissions, perform fieldwork such as surveying, handle inspection and enforcement of municipal development infrastructure installations and assist the Operations (Public Works)/Community Development Departments with troubleshooting infrastructure and development related issues. The Engineering Technologist is responsible for the collection of infrastructure data for the District of Hope’s GIS system, preparation and/or coordination of municipal infrastructure planning reports, implementing detailed analysis of existing and proposed infrastructure, compiling and maintaining the District’s record drawings and infrastructure reports. This position also provides other general technical support to the Director and other municipal departments as required.
This is a full-time Union position (CUPE Local 458) with a wage rate of $40.00/hr upon successful completion of a probationary period. A comprehensive benefits package including extended benefits and pension is also provided.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with hours of work as outlined in the CUPE Local 458 Collective Agreement.
- Civil Engineering Technology Diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Accredited or eligible for accreditation with ASTTBC as a Civil Engineering Technologist.
- Demonstrated design and construction experience in municipal engineering projects: roads, water distribution, wastewater and utilities design.
- Demonstrated exceptional knowledge and ability in the preparation of cost estimates, tender documents, RFP’s, RFQ’s, EOI’s, etc. including specifications.
- Highly organized and demonstrated ability to work independently, under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to deal with the public and coworkers in a diplomatic and courteous manner.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering superior customer service and working within a team environment.
- Demonstrated exceptional working knowledge of Microsoft applications, specifically Word and Excel.
- Strong working knowledge of AutoCAD and GIS applications.
- Minimum two years recent experience in a similar position, preferably in a civil/municipal setting.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver‘s License.
This is a unique opportunity to become part of the vibrant future of the District of Hope. Candidates seeking a rewarding career opportunity with one of western Canada’s most beautiful communities are invited to submit a cover letter and detailed resume in confidence, by 4:00 p.m. September 13, 2019 to:
Donna Bellingham, Director of Corporate Services
325 Wallace Street, P.O. Box 609
Hope, B.C. V0X IL0
The District of Hope thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.