City of Surrey
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city—and their careers—forward. Build a City. Build a Future at the City of Surrey.
In support of the Procurement Services Section within the City’s Finance Department, this position is responsible for performing highly complex, senior level full cycle purchasing work providing sound procurement advice and sourcing options in a timely and cost-effective manner. The Procurement Specialist will provide expertise, and guidance complex and challenging procurement guidance in the acquisition of a wide variety of goods, services and construction services required by various City Departments; undertake various studies regarding purchasing needs and departmental operations and assist in directing purchasing operations. The work is performed under minimal supervision and the incumbent will have a strong knowledge of the cities policies and procedures.
Applicants must have effective communication skills both orally and in writing, work independently and in a team environment as well as plan and organize assignments. The Procurement Specialist must have strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines while maintaining accurate records. The successful applicant will exercise strong interpersonal skills and effectively build relationships with a variety of stakeholders. Duties include:
- Liaise with City department to develop highly complex technical specifications and supplier correspondence.
- Work closely with City Department project managers to ensure the scope of work is defined accurately for various procurement opportunities.
- Responsible for a variety of procurement functions including but not limited to preparation of competitive solicitation documents such as tenders, making requests for quotations and request for proposals for user departments; setting up evaluation processes; resolving solicitation irregularities; performing price and cost analyses; negotiating acceptable prices, terms and condition and monitoring for effectiveness as well as contract management.
- Manage supplier negotiations to ensure terms and conditions conform to the City’s business requirements.
- Ensure contract terms and conditions minimize the risk of quality or schedule issues.
- Complete detailed and extensive review and analysis of comparable products and proposals.
- Prepare appropriate contracts and related documents including drafting contract language according to precedent; researching and obtaining information and material required from a variety of sources.
- Processes requisitions, prepares purchase orders, places orders.
- Conduct market and product research and surveys for user departments.
- Perform related duties as required.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by completion of the Strategic Supply Chain Management Leadership Program (SSCMLP) from the Purchasing Management Association of Canada’s program
Preferred qualifications include:
- Considerable purchasing related experience and contractual practices preferably in the public sector.
- Considerable knowledge of current purchasing methods and best practices, competitive processes, and the legislation and regulations relating to purchasing.
- Strong customer service, interpersonal, communication, negotiation, organizational, time management, and analytical skills.
- A general understanding of technical and legal documents and government regulations.
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and independently.
- A valid BC driver’s license.
- An equivalent combination of training and related experience in purchasing may be considered.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca