Attendance & Claims Management Advisor
Attendance & Claims Management AdvisorRequisition ID: 13873
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Manager of Operations Support and Safety, the Attendance and Claims Management Advisor assists in the effective implementation/management of the City’s Attendance Management Program (AMP) as well as the City’s Stay at Work program in the Engineering Department. This role provides consultancy, advice and support to ensure managers/supervisors understand their responsibility for the implementation/management of attendance and claims management and undertake all possible actions to minimize sickness and absence levels. This role also assists in the development and delivery of presentations and training on the AMP and WorkSafeBC (WSBC) claims management to new employees, managers/supervisors and other internal staff. It establishes close links and good working relationships with Human Resources staff, managers/supervisors and the unions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with applicable Human Resource staff to educate, advise and guide managers/supervisors in the interpretation and application of the City’s Attendance Management Program (AMP) and WSBC Claims Management and coordinates the program’s administration
- Profiles and tracks individual employees who exhibit attendance concerns and advises managers/supervisors regarding timely and appropriate interventions while maintaining the oversight of attendance metrics
- Makes recommendations for resolution to attendance management cases
- Prepares and delivers presentations and training regarding the AMP & WSBC Claims Management Approach to new employees, managers/supervisors and other internal staff
- Liaises with the Human Resources Services group regarding attendance related grievances and arbitrations
- Leads and/or participates in various committees
- Leads internal program process reviews and provides recommendations for efficiency and/or improvement
- Completes other projects as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Diploma or Bachelor's degree specializing in Human Resource/Industrial Relations or related field
- Three to five years’ experience in attendance management or labour relations, involving the administration of attendance management programs and providing recommendations regarding employee absenteeism issues
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of HR/LR concepts and ability to apply them to Attendance Management and Claims Management Programs.
- Extensive understanding of and ability to interpret applicable collective agreements and/or various rights related legislation.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to coach, guide and provide regular feedback to managers/supervisors on attendance and claims management practices and effective communication with employees
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing, including the ability to question and validate the needs and expectations of others and resolve conflict.
- Ability to analyze, plan, organize and proactively solve problems.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a team member and to provide effective leadership advice/guidance.
- Ability to deal tactfully and decisively with sensitive and confidential issues.
Business Unit/Department: Human Resources (1020)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September 2019
Application Close: August 23, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.