Manager of Human Resources
City of CourtenayCareer Opportunity
Manager of Human Resources
The City of Courtenay is looking for a Manager of Human Resources to lead its Human Resources Team.
Courtenay is an innovative, vibrant and growing City that works together to provide opportunities and excellent services making our community a great place to live, work and do business. The City fosters a positive work environment for everyone on our team. Our organization's culture is demonstrated by our Corporate Mission and Core Values.
The mandate of the Human Resources Division is to ensure the consistent delivery of best human resources and business practices across the organization.
Managing the HR team, you will be responsible for planning, developing and leading the implementation of human resource programs, policies, standards and practices to support the accomplishment of the Corporation’s goals. The Division provides professional services in human resources planning and management, labour and employee relations, compensation and benefits, occupational health, safety, and wellness.
The ideal candidate for this position will have an energetic and positive personality along with post-secondary education related to Human Resources Management from a recognized educational institution along with a Chartered Professional Human Resources (CPHR) designation.
You will have:
- Considerable (8 - 10 years) experience as a human resources generalist in a unionized environment with sound managerial experience preferably in the public sector
- Demonstrated experience in strategy development and implementation
- Ability to develop and present Human Resources strategies and solutions to internal stakeholders, while commanding their attention and respect
You will also possess:
- Extensive knowledge of progressive HR philosophies in the areas of recruitment and retention, job evaluation, compensation and benefits, employee and labour relations, training and development, performance management, occupational health, safety and wellness and effective change management.
- Thorough knowledge of labour law, employment standards, human rights and other related legislation are required to ensure compliant policies and practices.
- Considerable knowledge and background in budget preparation and oversight.
- Strong interpersonal, communication (both verbal and written), facilitation, negotiation, problem solving, decision making, leadership and general management skills.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge including MS Office and HRIS systems
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, with changing priorities, deadlines, and to readily adapt to change
- Ability to exercise exceptional judgment in dealing with confidential and sensitive information.
- Ability to deal with labour and staffing issues in a professional, objective, and fair manner.
- Municipal experience
You must also be willing to undergo a criminal record check if you are the successful applicant.
This is a full-time position available soon. In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you’ll receive a competitive base salary plus a generous benefits package including:
- A comprehensive health benefits plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Municipal Pension Plan
- Cumulative Sick Leave Plan
- Annual Vacation and Other Paid Leaves
- Professional Development & Training Opportunities
To apply go to www.courtenay.ca/jobs
We sincerely thank all applicants – only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.