Bylaw Compliance Officer
City of Maple Ridge
Bylaw Compliance Officer
Temporary Full Time – 4 months
Founded in 1874, Maple Ridge is one of BC’s oldest communities, but it’s also one of the fastest growing Cities in Metro Vancouver. This tremendous pace of growth creates opportunities for professionals like you to bring your passion and talents to our organization to build our future, your career and your family in one of the most incredible natural settings in BC. Your skills and talents are the essential element in helping our organization meet the challenges and opportunities of our community. This is a place where you can make a difference, serve your community with pride and professionalism and work with our elected representatives to turn their vision for our community into action. Are you ready to choose your own adventure?
Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication, interpersonal skills and exceptional customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you.
The City of Maple Ridge has an exciting new opportunity for two temporary full-time Bylaw Compliance Officers. If you are ready to work in a fast paced and challenging opportunity with the City this is for you.
The main focus for these two positions will entail community safety patrols of the Town Centre and liaising with local residents and businesses to identify and address street level bylaw infractions. The ideal candidates will possess awareness and sensitivity to community issues including homelessness, drug addictions and mental health issues
You will have the ability to:
- investigate complaints and enforce bylaws and other regulations with tact, impartiality, firmness, and the use of sound judgement;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of contacts, other departments and outside agencies to obtain compliance and resolve conflicts;
- prepare concise, factual reports, to maintain appropriate records, and to interpret specific bylaws, regulations and applicable rules to the public;
- gather evidence and prepare information for municipal tickets, prosecution and to act as a witness in court;
- work outside in all types of weather, to walk long distances and to climb stairs.
- Skill in the use of software applications – MS Office Suite, Amanda, Tempest and Zebra Parking System;
- Class 5 Driver's License valid in the Province of British Columbia.
- Completion of 12 Secondary supplemented by a post-secondary education, and sound experience in investigative and enforcement work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required. The Bylaw Enforcement and Investigative Skills course Level 1 is also required;
- Level 2 course will be considered an asset. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of two years experience in the field.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Recommends legal action as required;
- Gathers evidence;
- Prepares information for prosecution and represents the City in court as a witness for prosecutions;
- The work entails extensive contact and liaison with the public
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.