Oak Bay & Esquimalt Firefighter Recruitment
Oak Bay & Esquimalt
The District of Oak Bay and the Township of Esquimalt are currently jointly recruiting for firefighters. Successful applicants will be placed on an eligibility list for a two year period to fill future vacancies in both municipalities.
We are looking for suitably qualified, dynamic women and men to join our teams. Our ideal candidates will be community-minded, physically fit, positive, energetic, active, good team players, enjoy working with the public and are looking for a fulfilling career.
Prior to applying, please visit our websites at
to view the complete Firefighter Recruitment Information Package which includes the application form, job description, required entrance qualifications, and information regarding the stages in the recruitment process.
Listed below is a brief summary of the minimum qualifications:
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Be at least 19 years of age;
- Grade 12 Certificate or GED equivalency;
- Class 3 driver’s license and air brake endorsement;
- Safe driving behaviour as demonstrated in an applicant’s current driver’s abstract;
- First Responder or Occupational First Aid Level 3;
- No criminal convictions related to the job of Firefighter;
- Computer literacy;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Volunteer and community service experience;
- Physically fit for the position of Firefighter and medically fit according to the standards set in NFPA 1582;
- Completion of the Firefighter Applicant Fitness Evaluation by the University of Victoria, to be completed within a maximum of 12 months from date of application.NOTE: in order to ensure consistency, we will only be accepting fitness evaluations completed through the University of Victoria; and,
- Completion of an accredited (IFSAC or ProBoard) NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 & 2 program.
If you are interested in this opportunity to become a firefighter, please refer to one of our websites and complete the application form, including a resume and cover letter, and attach copies of all required documents.
As outlined in the information package, each submission must include:
- Application form;
- Resume and cover letter;
- Grade 12 certificate or GED equivalency;
- Copy of eye examination (dated within 12 months of the date of application);
- Copy of hearing examination/audiogram (dated within 12 months of the date of application);
- Copy of WorkSafeBC Occupational First Aid, Level 3 Certificate or First Responder Level III Certification or equivalent;
- Driver’s Abstract (dated within 30 days of date of application);
- Copy of NFPA 1001 level 1 & 2 (IFSAC or Pro Board);
- Copies of all fire service courses and certificates; and,
- Copy of the Firefighter Applicant Fitness Evaluation by the University of Victoria (UVIC), dated within twelve months of date of application. Note that only evaluations completed by UVIC will be accepted.
Please submit your completed application package in a single electronic file named with your first and last name by 16:30 on September 13, 2019, referencing Firefighter 2019 Competition in the subject line to: email@example.com.
If your application is being considered for the eligibility list you will, at a later date, be asked to submit the following:
- Criminal Record Check for the vulnerable sector (dated within six months of the request for the check); and,
- Firefighter Medical Examination Certificate for BC (dated within 12 months of the request for the certificate).
Competitive Salary and Comprehensive Benefits Package:
While the wages and benefits are similar, each department offers wages and benefits as per their negotiated benefits and entitlements as outlined in their respective IAFF Collective Agreements.
Each department maintains a residency requirement within their respective Collective Agreements. As a condition of employment, all new hires, within one year of date of hire, shall be required to reside within the residence requirements.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for the next stage will be contacted.