Contracts and Payment Manager
City of Surrey
Contracts and Payment Manager
As one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, City of Surrey is a globally recognized leader in building vibrant, sustainable communities through technology and innovation. City of Surrey employees are talented innovators, inspired by meaningful work and the opportunity to drive our city - and their careers - forward.
Recognized as a Top Employer year after year and distinguished as the only municipality to be named among Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures, the City of Surrey is constantly looking for talented professionals and innovators who are ready to help us build a world-class city.
The Contracts and Payment Manager will be responsible for managing and supporting the City’s Contract Administration function , Accounts Payable function , and Shipping & Receiving staff and operations. Reporting to the Revenue Services Manager in the Finance department, this position will be accountable for team leadership and the overall planning of the accurate documentation and timely processing of non-payroll disbursements. The incumbent will bring exceptional communication and customer service skills, a focus on continual process and systems improvement, and a positive approach to meeting business objectives.
The Contracts and Payment Manager is responsible for the following:
- Develops and maintains processes and procedures which ensure that contracts and payments are administered in accordance with statutory requirements, Community Charter, City bylaws, processes and procedures
- Directs, recruits, and supervises 17 professional and clerical staff including completing performance evaluations and providing professional development opportunities to staff
- Evaluating and implementing ongoing recommendations for operational improvements and efficiencies, with a particular focus on ensuring financial controls related to vendor setup, maintenance and sensitive banking information are in place and operating effectively
- Managing effectively the entire contract administrative function, including authorizing payments, statutory holdback, contract extension and renewal and contract closure upon termination
- Working collaboratively with the Procurement services section within the Finance Department to ensure effective transition from contract execution to contract administration
- Manage and support the Accounts Payable team throughout the full cycle Accounts Payable process, including the processing of over 70,000 invoices per year with accuracy and timeliness
- Ensure all financial records, including banking information for all City Vendors is maintained with appropriate accuracy and confidentiality and ensuring processes are in place for safeguarding banking and financial information with appropriate process and control
- Consults with City management and staff across departments to ensure development of best practices and standards related to Contract Administration, Accounts Payable, and Shipping & Receiving
- Performs other related duties as required
Our ideal candidate shares our values of Community, Innovation, Integrity, Service and Teamwork, and can demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Accounting or a related discipline from a recognized post-secondary institution and a minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible related experience, or an acceptable equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- CPA designation is preferred
- Experience within a municipal setting or financial institution is an asset
- You have experience with online banking platforms; experience with generating and troubleshooting payment files to a bank’s FTP site is a definite asset
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the proven ability to analyze various data sets
- Demonstrated experience and skills in maintaining effective internal financial controls over sensitive information including but not limited to banking information.
- Experience in re-engineering processes to balance efficiency with controls is highly desired for this role
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca