Equipment Operator 3
Equipment Operator 3
The District of West Vancouver Utilities Construction Department has an exciting opportunity for an Equipment Operator III position. An Equipment Operator III operates and maintains heavy mobile equipment of a complex nature in accordance to competency standards, safety practices, regulations as well as performing manual work. The successful candidate must be skilled in the operation of skid steers; working knowledge in the operation and use of backhoes, front-end loaders, and mini excavators would also be considered an asset.
The Equipment Operator III performs the following duties:
- Operating a backhoe, excavator, skid steer and other equipment in a variety of tasks including the maintenance and construction of water, sewer, and drainage assets;
- Performing a variety of utilities construction maintenance duties using the assigned equipment, which may include the usage of backhoes, excavators, front-end loaders, skid steers, etc. with various attachments;
- Washing, cleaning and service repairs (add fluid, adjust brakes, replace bulbs, etc.) to equipment;
- Performing daily equipment inspections and submitting inspection reports;
- Providing significant manual labour assistance on various tasks where required;
- Ongoing mentoring and training; and,
- Performing other duties as required.
The preferred candidate will possess considerable experience in the operation of various equipment as applied to general utilities construction and maintenance work; ability to operate equipment in congested conditions; knowledge and experience digging around other underground utilities like gas and electrical; knowledge of safe operation procedures and the precautions necessary to avoid accidents or machine damage; the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; and, mechanical aptitude along with adequate physical stamina to perform assigned duties in all types of weather.
The successful candidate has: graduated from senior secondary school; three years of related experience in the operation of backhoes, excavators, and skid steers; and a valid class 1 or 3 Drivers’ License with air brake endorsement. Experience with emergency operations/snow removal would be considered an asset.
This posting does not list all the duties of the position, nor does it fully detail the required skills, knowledge and abilities, licences and certificates required of candidates.
WVMEA (Union) – Permanent, Full-Time
Hours of Work:
40 hours per week (hours and days of work may vary)
Rate of Pay:
$32.42 per hour
11:59 p.m. Sunday, July 28, 2019
Please visit the District of West Vancouver’s Career Centre at westvancouver.ca/careers to apply for this position. Please note that all candidates must apply through the Career Centre. This is an internal posting and only current District employees will be considered.
We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. We want to thank all applicants, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.