External Outreach Coordinator
External Outreach CoordinatorPosition Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than July 13, 2020)
Department: External Relations
Employee Group: Teamsters Local 31
Location: 4730 Kingsway, Burnaby
Our External Relations Department is seeking an External Outreach Coordinator who will actively contribute to the collaboration and stakeholder engagement work required to help identify and implement solutions to some of the key challenges affecting the livability, sustainability and long-term prosperity of the Metro Vancouver region. This will involve working with Metro Vancouver staff to clarify the goals and objectives of different initiatives and projects and then to develop and support the process to engage the relevant stakeholders in identifying options/articulating a recommended course of action that can be presented to the relevant decision-makers. Potential areas of focus include zero waste and circular economy.
You are: a confident team player, able articulate your perspective to an issue while listening and learning from your colleagues who, just like you, thrive in working together to achieve shared goals. You bring strong strategic planning and communication skills to the table along with a commitment to a collaborative approach. You are willing to work in a dynamic environment and are comfortable working with minimal supervision once the objectives and priorities are clearly established, and are motivated to deliver quality work.
- Coordinates and advises on Metro Vancouver public outreach and stakeholder engagement initiatives from concept to final product; reviews proposals from external stakeholders andMetro Vancouver departments for the development of promotional materials; ensures compliance with communications policies and standards, annual work plans and board priorities, and recommends final approval by a superior; identifies projects which can be implemented inter-departmentally or regionally and contacts appropriate personnel; provides on-going guidance to Metro Vancouver departments and external stakeholders regarding initiatives.
- Serves as staff support for the administration of an assigned committee or task force pertaining to the work; assists a superior in the development and implementation of work plans and business models; responds to and carries out committee and Board directives; administers programs and strategic initiatives, and oversees process; compiles and presents reports and defends decisions; makes presentations to municipal staff and councils, external stakeholders and various organizations.
- Plans, develops and implements communication to external stakeholders involved in strategic initiatives; develops strategies and implementation plans; develops policy statements, papers and committee reports, including visual presentations for use by senior staff and elected officials.
- Serves as project leader for major public events such as international forums, trade shows, symposia and public consultations; develops event concepts; collaborates with and advises key stakeholders in defining themes, securing speakers and materials, and facilitating and overseeing events.
- Serves as primary liaison with external stakeholder groups in the development of strategies related to strategic initiatives around Metro Vancouver Board strategic priorities.
- Assists in the hosting of various media events in support of intergovernmental relations.
- Develops a variety of editorial projects such as public information material for internal and external audiences; conceptualizes and prepares content for dissemination through websites and social media.
- Performs related work as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or a related field, plus considerable related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the communications principles, practices, techniques, methods and procedures applicable to the work.
- Thorough knowledge of Metro Vancouver objectives, philosophies and policies related to the work.
- Considerable knowledge of the programs, functions, activities and services of the various departments as they relate to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of the purpose, goals and objectives of the committees served.
- Ability to review, coordinate and advise on public outreach initiatives.
- Ability to provide staff support to an assigned committee or task force and administer a program or implementation plan pertaining to the work.
- Ability to provide leadership and advice, develop concepts, and oversee major public events.
- Ability to liaise with external stakeholder groups in the development of strategic initiatives around Metro Vancouver Board strategic priorities.
- Ability to develop various editorial projects and conceptualize and prepare content for websites and social media.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, and to prepare various communications materials, reports and presentations.
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by July 26, 2019.