Digital Extraction Technician
Digital Extraction TechnicianJOB VACANCY NO.: 2019-065
FROM: July 12, 2019
NO. OF VACANCIES: 1
TO CLOSE: 5:00 p.m. July 23, 2019
POSITION: Digital Extraction Technician
SALARY: $30.98 to $36.45 per hour
DEPARTMENT: Deputy City Manager – Civilian Police Services
NATURE OF POSITION:
This is specialized technical work responsible for the digital extraction of media related to criminal cases, investigation and evidence while adhering to evidence recovery procedures and chain of evidence/custody guidelines. An incumbent analyzes, prepares, maintains and updates files, observation reports and documentation. An incumbent also provides testimony in court as required, updates and maintains forensic equipment, tools and software. Considerable independent judgment and action is exercised in the technical aspects of the work, while problems and unfamiliar situations are discussed with a functional expert or a superior who also assigns work priorities. Work performance is reviewed in terms of quality and adherence to established procedures and policies.
- Sound knowledge of devices, media, cellular communications, computers network technology and peripherals related to the work performed.
- Sound knowledge of the policies, procedures and standards of the Section, Detachment and RCMP.
- Sound knowledge of modern office methods and procedures including the operating systems, hardware, software and applications related to the work.
- Sound knowledge of theories, practices, technology and techniques related to the work.
- Sound knowledge of relevant case law, statues and legislation.
- Sound knowledge of evidence recovery procedures and chain of evidence/custody guidelines.
- Ability to understand search warrant parameters and limitations.
- Ability to use discretion in the handling of sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to remain current with trends, courses, and information related to the duties.
- Ability to view and process devices which may contain sensitive and offensive content, such as child exploitation material.
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to exercise judgment independently.
- Ability to prepare and maintain documentation, reports and files related to the work.
- Ability to extract and handle digital media.
- Ability to provide recommendations and suggestions for follow-up.
- Ability to provide court testimony.
- Ability to attend crime scenes and to obtain a variety of technological devices and data.
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain while at crime scenes.
- Ability to carry up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and efficiency, even in stressful circumstances.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and efficiently assists staff, investigators and outside agencies.
- Ability to maintain and update forensic equipment, tools and software.
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by a 2 year diploma program in a computer technology or courses such as Digital Computer Field Technician, or Digital Mobile Field Technician plus some related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
This position is covered under Note "N" in the CUPE Collective Agreement.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- A PROBATIONARY PERIOD
- GROUP LIFE INSURANCE
- PARTICIPATION IN THE MUNICIPAL PENSION PLAN
- UNION MEMBERSHIP IN C.U.P.E. LOCAL 386
- OBTAIN & MAINTAIN RCMP ENHANCED SECURITY CLEARANCE
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE AT www.coquitlam.ca/jobs
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.