Parking Meter Technician (Auxiliary)
Parking Meter Technician (Auxiliary)Requisition ID: 13752
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Engineering Services is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals available on call (363 days per year/7 days per week) as a Parking Meter Technician in the Parking Operations Branch. Parking Meter Technicians attend designated areas daily to inspect, adjust, install, remove, and repair electronic parking meters; install or maintain infrastructure and other parking control devices; clean, overhaul and effect major shop repairs on parking meter mechanisms and other parking related hardware and software.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Parking Operations operates 7 days/week, 363 days /year, 7:15 am to 3:30 p.m. This position is based on a 35 hour work week within a 9 day fortnight schedule. The successful candidate will be required to work weekends.
- Parking Meter Technicians provide technical support for and effect repairs to Parking Meters (diagnosing and repairing electronic and mechanical faults and failures, as well as updating Meter Operating systems firmware and software).
- Additionally, Meter Technicians perform skilled shop work and semiskilled field work entailed in the overall repair, servicing, and installation of Parking Meters.
- This position will maintain inspection records for all related equipment (to document service histories, trend service–issues and provide data regarding ongoing mechanism performance challenges), complete other work related documentation, and interact frequently and professionally with the public.
- Duties also include working safely in heavy traffic, and lifting heavy equipment.
- This position will perform other related work as required.
Functional and or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required.
Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 3 years
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete and pass a Mechanical Aptitude and Skills Test conducted by BCIT.
Education and Experience:
Completion of Grade 10 is required, preferably Grade 12, supplemented by technical training and/or related experience (e.g. repair of complex electronic / electromechanical devices such as office machines, computers, or electronically controlled coin and/or card operated devices).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in safely using hand and power tools, as well as electronic diagnostic equipment to competently service and accurately diagnose Parking Meter faults.
- Working familiarity with relevant WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Demonstrated strength, skill and mechanical aptitude to efficiently assemble parts into a working meter using small handtools.
- Demonstrated ability to safely drive a light truck or van and to lift very heavy objects (30 – 45 kg).
- Ability to safely operate power equipment (Generator; Hilti DD200 Drill; Angle Grinder, etc) whilst installing and removing meters from the sidewalk.
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot and reprogram electronic devices.
- Ability to mix and neatly place concrete.
- Proven ability to deal tactfully with the public and to also maintain respectful working relationship with coworkers is required.
- Ability to accurately follow directions/ instructions/diagrams re: Meter placement (proper location, as well as identifying Utilities and other potential hazards/impediments).
- Ability to correctly interpret schematic diagrams of electronic circuitry / diagnosis and repair is an asset
- Ability to maintain accurate written and electronic records.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and to travel locally is a requirement of this position.
Driver License and Record Checks
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of the position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Your driving record will be reviewed as part of the application process. Candidates must demonstrate a safe driving history, as assessed by the City of Vancouver.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Salary Information: Pay Grade 18: $28.55 to $33.60 per hour
Application Close: July 28, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.