Equipment Operator 2 - Cemetery
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Equipment Operator 2 - Cemetery
NO. OF POSITIONS:
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week
CUPE, Local 387
30.48 per hour plus a comprehensive benefit package
Reporting to the Supervisor, Parks and Open Space Maintenance, the Equipment Operator 2 – Cemetery is responsible for performing custodial and manual grounds keeping work to keep the cemetery in a clean and orderly condition and prepare burial plots for funeral services. You will safely and efficiently operate and maintain equipment such as an excavator with attachments, mowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers and lowering devices. Responsibilities include: mowing lawns, trimming trees, maintaining flower beds, raising and lowering headstones (up to 70 lbs), selling and laying out burial plots, preparing and maintaining related records, performing interments and occasional disinterments, providing information and assistance to the public, performing administrative duties and performing other work as required in cemetery maintenance and servicing duties.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to work!
- You have completed Grade 12 (or equivalent) and have sound experience in the operation of applicable equipment.
- It would be a bonus if you have education in Turf Management and/or experience in green/field maintenance.
- You have considerable knowledge and skills in the operation, servicing and maintenance of medium sized landscaping, construction, tools and equipment used in cemetery maintenance and grounds keeping work.
- You have demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- You have sound knowledge of safe operation rules and precautions necessary to avoid accidents when operating equipment.
- You have the ability to recognize and take appropriate action in relation to public safety concerns while performing the work.
- You have the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- You have the ability to provide exceptional customer service and to explain cemetery rules and regulations to the public in a tactful, compassionate and sensitive manner.
- You have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and employees.
- You have the ability to perform basic record keeping tasks and basic knowledge in the use of computers and related software programs/applications including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- You have the ability to perform manual/physical labour and to work in all weather conditions.
- You must be able to successfully pass and maintain a clear police information check.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-92, by July 26, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)5274619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.