Icemaker / Maintenance Worker
Icemaker / Maintenance WorkerCasual (0 to 40 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Recreation & Culture Department, seeks individuals with outstanding work ethic and a safety first attitude to join their team on a casual basis (0-40 hours per week). The Icemaker/Maintenance Worker is responsible for operating refrigeration, ice-making, resurfacing equipment, ensuring quality of ice is maintained, undertaking and performing minor maintenance and repair tasks as directed and in accordance with prepared specifications. The position will be performing routine janitorial duties, and providing assistance to the public. The work also involves assuming prescribed security responsibilities for facilities in the absence of a supervisor, as required, and giving direction and instruction to casual staff as required.
- Ice Facility Operator’s Certificate;
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by knowledge of the City’s and some related experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Class 5 Power Engineering (preferred), plus sound experience in the operation and maintenance of refrigeration equipment and in the manufacture and maintenance of ice; OR an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license;
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to work cooperatively and amicably in a team environment with a safety first attitude;
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials and equipment used in ice making and refrigeration operations for skating and curling activities;
- Sound knowledge of materials, methods and equipment used in building maintenance and janitorial work;
- Sound knowledge of the regulations governing ice-rink events;
- Ability to operate, maintain, overhaul and make minor repairs to all mobile and stationary equipment and machinery typically used in skating and curling rinks and community centers;
- Ability to assume operational and security responsibility on a regularly recurring basis in the absence of a superior;
- Skill in the operation and care of the tools and equipment utilized in the work.
The hourly wage of this unionized position is $29.23 hourly (2019 rates) with 11% offered in lieu of benefits. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your cover letter and resume, for consideration by the application deadline.
Application Deadline: 4:30 pm, Sunday, July 21, 2019
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/jobs
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted.