Are you interested in this job opening? Are you the perfect fit for our organization? Click on Apply Now! and your most current resume will be attached to this position. If you are new, the system will walk you through our Online Application process. If you know of someone else who might be interested, please send this opportunity to a friend.
The City of Port Moody is a growing community of 34,000 residents located 30 minutes east of downtown Vancouver at the head of the Burrard Inlet and just steps from seaside parks, mountain trails and lakes. To achieve our mission of providing services that enhance the quality of life for all of our residents, we are looking for motivated individuals to complement our team.
CUPE 825 (Inside)
# of Vacancies
July 5 - 21, 2019
The City of Port Moody is seeking a Planning Technician with strong knowledge and judgement to independently process development applications such as small lot subdivisions and laneway house applications. The position involves a complex set of tasks and the coordination of a number of different internal and external requirements, all of which must be completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Process development applications (rezoning, subdivision, development permit and development variance permit applications) including the following:
- complete zoning analysis
- Support applicants through development review process
- Act as overall file manager for applications
- Write reports to Council / Committees
- Draft legal covenants based on templates
- Respond to planning related public enquiries, providing zoning and Official Community Plan information and interpretation
- Provide information on development applications to senior staff, staff in other departments, external agencies, and applicants
- Assist with special planning projects, including researching related issues
- Assist with the development of new policies and procedures to ensure they are up-to-date and responsive
Please note that employment with the City of Port Moody is subject to the receipt of a satisfactory police information check as well as a satisfactory driver's abstract. Please submit your online application @ www.portmoody.ca/jobs by the posting close date.
- University degree or technical diploma from a recognized institution in a related field
- Minimum 1 to 2 years of related experience
- Membership in the Planning Institute of British Columbia and the Canadian Institute of Planners
- Membership in the Architectural Institute of British Columbia and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada would be an asset
- A sound knowledge of community planning and urban design theories, practices, principles and processes
- Experience researching and preparing community plans and policies
- Experience processing various kinds of development applications
- Experience reviewing architectural drawings and providing critical commentary
- Project management experience
- Ability to make independent decisions and use creativity to resolve issues
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
British Columbia [BC]
Compensation - Hourly
$35.51 - $38.20
Compensation & Benefits Overview
The City of Port Moody strives to be an employer of choice and offers an excellent benefits program as well as professional development opportunities.