Program Assistant - Motive Power School of Transportation
British Columbia Institute of Technology
Motive Power School of Transportation
BCIT’s School of Transportation is looking for a regular, full-time Program Assistant. This position provides clerical and administrative support to the Heavy Equipment Group Chief Instructor, Instructors and the Associate Dean’s office. Responsibilities include maintaining attendance reports, ensuring grades are processed accurately and within established deadlines, and scheduling student interviews. This position also maintains the day-to-day functions of the Associate Dean’s office, including scheduling meetings and appointments, preparing a variety of correspondence and documents, and maintaining attendance records for campus staff. The incumbent is required to provide a high level of customer service to internal students, staff and external contacts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support to the Heavy Equipment Group, Chief Instructor, and Instructors as required, including returning voicemail messages, photocopying, word processing, and other document creation, faxing, filing, retrieval and sorting of daily mail.
- Maintains a high level of customer service; represents the School and the Institute in a professional manner.
- Prepares student attendance lists, and identifies outstanding fees.
- Creates course folders, and maintains course by course attendance and academic records.
- Assists students with general inquiries and liaises with Student Services departments and Registrar’s Office on the student’s behalf to gain information and resolve issues.
- Assists the Chief Instructors with the planning and coordinating of training plans and regular department activities as required.
- Assists with preparation and maintenance of wayfinding maps, room reservation signs, course announcements, and course information packages.
- Creates documents, correspondence, spreadsheets, graphics, tables, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Provides administrative support for all Program Advisory Committees including preparing and circulating minutes for approval, forwarding new member nomination forms to the Board of Governors (BOG), sending new members information packages and welcome letters on behalf of the Board, takes minutes at meetings and ensures minutes and appendices are posted, and takes appropriate follow-up on action items.
- Assists with the planning and coordination of regular activities associated with the Heavy Equipment Group, such as distributing and collecting of student surveys and other pertinent documents.
- Acts as the liaison between the Associate Dean’s office and all internal Institute service and education departments.
- Maintains Associate Dean’s schedule, coordinates meetings and updates calendar, screens enquiries and phone calls.
- Initiates, maintains and facilitates effective communication between internal and external clientele, agencies, individuals and educational institutions.
- Creates documents, spreadsheets, tables, power point presentations, etc.; composes, signs, and distributes correspondence related to delegated administrative matters.
- Prepares confidential correspondence and other confidential items relating to performance appraisals and personnel matters.
- Maintains BCIT Railway program official documentation to meet BC Safety Authority audit requirements.
- Organizes program advisory steering committees, and other meetings as required, including agenda preparation, recording and distributing of minutes, room booking, catering, parking and taking appropriate follow-up action.
- Organizes travel arrangements and conference and seminar registration for Associate Dean, instructional and support staff.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
- Completion of Grade 12, plus one year of post-secondary training in administrative systems and business applications.
- Two years of general office experience plus up to one year practical current experience in a similar position preferably in an educational environment.
- Microsoft Office with Word and Excel at the intermediate level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; and proven ability to provide outstanding customer service preferably in an educational environment.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with a high attention to detail and accuracy, and the ability to handle multiple priorities and changing deadlines.
- Keyboard skills at 50 wpm.
- Proven ability to take and transcribe minutes of meetings.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, and independently.
*Please note: These are the minimum required qualifications. This position is a day shift position as defined in Article 14.1 of the Collective Agreement.
August 6, 2019
Pay Grade 6; $46,258 with yearly increments to $50,103 per annum.
July 3, 2019
July 21, 2019
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.