Afterschool Program Assistant
City of Surrey
Afterschool Program Assistand
The City of Surrey’s Parks Recreation and Culture Department is currently recruiting candidates who have a passion for working with children and have knowledge of healthy child development.
MYzone is a popular drop-in program designed to keep children ages 8-12 safe and engaged during the critical hours (3:00pm-5:00pm). The program provides a nurturing environment that supports the principles of healthy child development while providing opportunities for civic engagement and leadership skill development.
MYgame is a drop-in program offered from 5:00pm-6:00pm that is designed to provide children with the opportunity to participate in a multitude of active games and sports or participate in interactive tabletop game play including board games and card games.
JUMPzone is an afterschool program offered in local elementary schools from 2:30pm- 4:30pm to provide an affordable and access engagement opportunity for children grades 4-7. The program includes active play and recreation, homework support, healthy eating, peer mentorship opportunities and more. JUMPzone staff shifts are 2:00pm-5:00pm.
MYzone, MYgames, and JUMPzone operate at various locations throughout the city and will commence September 30th, 2019.
Duties include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting Program Leader in planning and implementing developmentally appropriate activities
- Regular communication with program lead, supervisors and parents
- Ensuring children are safe and engaged
- Attending scheduled team meetings and monitory training
The successful applicant will have experience in working with school aged children in a recreation setting as well as good communication and organizational skills. In addition, they will have the ability to be flexible as candidates may be required to travel between multiple program sites.
- Experience working with school aged children
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification
- High Five Certification ( or willingness to acquire)
- Food Safe Certification is an asset
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by 1 year of related work experience or equivalent.
This position requires a completion of a police information check.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca