Building Inspector 1 (19-094)
Building Inspector 1
$39.39 - $46.54 per hour
July 14, 2019
Founded in 1874, Maple Ridge is one of BC’s oldest communities, but it’s also one of the fastest growing Cities in Metro Vancouver. This tremendous pace of growth creates opportunities for professionals like you to bring your passion and talents to our organization to build our future, your career and your family in one of the most incredible natural settings in BC. Your skills and talents are the essential element in helping our organization meet the challenges and opportunities of our community. This is a place where you can make a difference, serve your community with pride and professionalism and work with our elected representatives to turn their vision for our community into action. Are you ready to choose your own adventure?
Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication, interpersonal skills and exceptional customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you.
We are looking for a seasoned Building Inspector 1 to join our team. In this role your primary responsibilities are:
- The inspection of residential, industrial, institutional and commercial projects during construction, alternation and repair to determine conformity with established bylaws, acts, codes, standards and regulations;
- Reviewing plans and specifications accompanying applications for single, multi-residential, small commercial and industrial buildings and related construction;
- Providing technical and regulatory information to the public, contractors and registered professionals;
- Preparing reports and correspondence on projects as required
A little bit about you:
- Thorough understanding of building construction practices and methods, relevant bylaws, acts, codes, standards and regulations;
- You have a diploma in Building Technology from a recognized post-secondary institution and knowledge of the BC Building Code in the areas of residential and commercial construction;
- Level 2 Certificate of the B.O.A.B.C. or eligibility for certification by the Building Officials’ Association of British Columbia (BOABC);
- You possess effective oral and written communication skills and an ability to read and interpret building construction plans and drawings;
- Self motivated individual with strong communication skills;
- You hold certification in Building Technology;
- Preference will be given to candidates that have their Level 3 Certificate of the B.O.A.B.C.;
- 2-3 years experience as a Building Inspector;
- Valid B.C. Driver’s Licence required.
- You must be a member in good standing with the Building Officials Association of BC.
The work is performed in an environment with regular exposure to disagreeable conditions or hazards such as chemicals and extreme noise, falling objects, isolated working conditions and extreme weather conditions. The incumbent in this position will be working in an environment where heavy equipment such as forklifts, loaders and construction cranes are in operation nearby or in close proximity on the property site.
This is an Auxiliary position with no ongoing schedule of hours.
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.