Urban Designer/Development Planner I
Urban Designer/Development Planner IRequisition ID: 13740
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Planner I assists in the processing of development and building permit applications, primarily in the low density-family zoning districts and commercial and housing renovations (with an expectation to increase the scope of zones reviewed), by providing urban design, planning and residential zoning and development by-law advice to the public, staff and applicants. This position resolves problems of by-law interpretation on sites having special characteristics and recommends relaxations where warranted using judgement based on by-law intent, guidelines, policy, hardship, site inspections, technical review and professional architectural experience.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides planning review for low density housing and other more complex planning projects
- Supports DBL Service Centre with professional planning and urban design advice and with customer service
- Represents the Director of Planning at the Board of Variance for projects
- Monitors the impact of zoning regulations on single-family areas, and in consultation with the policy staff, recommends and reports to Council on new regulations and guidelines where appropriate
- Prepares illustrated information bulletins to assist the public in understanding residential zoning regulations
- Provides technical assistance to staff
- Presenting to advisory panels
- Performs related architectural and planning work as required.
- The work may also involve a high number of enquiries and public contact that requires consistent and accurate advice be given.
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in planning and/or architecture recognized by the Canadian Institute of Planners or the AIBC
- Minimum of five years professional experience is preferred
- Demonstrated experience with Architecture, Building Renovation and/or Urban Design is preferred; experience includes single and two family residential design and project review, including experience in wood frame construction.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of residential zoning regulations and guidelines and experience with implementation and administration of residential zoning by-laws and guidelines is an asset.
- Demonstrated negotiating skills. Ability to relate well to other staff, builders, designers, architects, owners, Boards, Panels, members of Council and the general public.
- Working knowledge of other subjects applicable to planning work. Working knowledge of the Vancouver Building By-Law. Good knowledge of governmental structures and systems.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners or Architectural Institute of BC is desirable.
Business Unit/Department: Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability (1275)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-029: $44.83 to $53.01 per hour
Application Close: June 30, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.