Administrative Manager - Marine Campus
British Columbia Institute of Technology
School of Transportation
BCIT’s Marine Campus is seeking a temporary, full-time Administrative Manager, School of Tranportation. Reporting to the Associate Dean, and receiving functional direction from the Operations Manager, the Administrative Manager, as a member of the educational operating unit management team, is responsible for planning, organizing, implementing and supervising financial, administrative and support services provided to the Associate Dean, faculty, staff and students at the satellite campus, in accordance with Institute standards and congruent with the overall Institute mission. The Administrative Manager works with the School Operations Manager on the development of the campus annual operating budget and the campus operational plan, including budget projections and recommendations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates the development of business plans for new program initiatives, learning partnership activities, special events supporting the Institute’s strategic directions.
- Ensures control of and accurate reporting on the campus budgets.
- Coordinates, administers and maintains the campus capital equipment list, ensures documents are processed, approves all requisitions and acquisitions, and prepares variance reports as required.
- Prepares Industry Services course and program costing, contracts and invoices.
- Ensures that the Associate Dean, Chief Instructors and Support staff are advised on current personnel issues and changes in policy and procedures and that documentation is maintained and approved in compliance with institute policies and collective agreements.
- Responsible for overseeing the performance and development of Support Staff. Provides direction, establishes employee development programs and coaching/mentoring practices that promote individual and team competencies, productivity and customer focused solutions.
- Ensures that performance reviews and appraisals are scheduled and comply with collective agreements.
- Manages and coordinates new staff orientation on administrative and operating procedures.
- Ensures that recruitment activities for all positions within the unit, comply either with the collective agreements or management terms and conditions of employment, including reviewing and approval of e-hire requisitions.
- Manages the administrative detail of support and instructional staff related to development activity, leaves, cessation of employment etc.
- Manages all aspects of the recruitment process for support staff positions; coordinates all aspects of the recruitment process for Instructor positions.
- Ensures faculty and staff have all pertinent information regarding office facilities, classroom, laboratory space and administrative procedures.
- Assists Associate Dean to foster productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders (ie. Program Advisory Committees, Regulatory Bodies etc.)
- Provides advice and assistance with respect to administrative processes and procedures by ensuring compliance with applicable Institute practices and policies and collective agreements.
- Ensures that all administrative procedures and processes are documented, maintained and accessible in the operating unit ‘Policies and Procedures Manuals’.
- Assessment of and makes recommendations to improve systems and procedures to support school and institute strategies/directions.
- Liaison between institute support areas and the operating unit staff by co-ordinating the distribution and/or compilation of information sent/received to/from support service departments and takes applicable action to ensure processing.
- Consults with the Associate Dean and Chief Instructors to ensure program and course changes are within Institute guidelines and policies.
- Works with the Associate Dean on new program and course proposals.
- Works with the Associate Dean to ensure that staffing levels are adequate for course and program scheduling.
- Consults with Facilities Management and Safety and Security on campus operations, including facilities, repairs, construction, rentals, security requirements, and liaison with contractors.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC's Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy subsidized parking and discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
- Diploma in Technology in a management discipline.
- Three to five years’ administrative experience which includes a role in the preparation and administration of budgets, supervisory experience in a unionised environment, or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, excellent planning, time management and organizational skills.
- Must be highly self-motivated with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have advanced computer literacy in office applications and network administration.
- Must have demonstrated budgetary (preparation and administration) and financial reporting skills.
- Must be detail oriented with demonstrated creative problem-solving skills.
View the full job description here: Administrative Manager, School of Transportation
TERM OF APPOINTMENT:
July 8, 2019 to September 4, 2020
June 8, 2019
June 23, 2019
BCIT offers a competitive salary, generous benefits package and promotes an inclusive workplace. BCIT is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only successful candidates will be required to have transcripts submitted directly to BCIT’s Human Resources Department directly from granting institution at the time of reference checks. If applicable, successful candidates will be responsible for the completion of international credential evaluations. All appointments will be conditional until receipt of verified credentials.
To apply, visit us at careers.bcit.ca
We are only able to accept applications that are submitted on the BCIT Careers website.