GIS Supervisor(Full Time)
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology you will: Assist management in the efficient and effective operation of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and services within the City of Chilliwack. In this position, you will work to respond to the informational needs of the City through the use of an advanced, networked GIS and relational database server to develop complex GIS applications, procedures, queries, thematic maps and reports.
The work includes the following activities:
- Supervision of Programmers and Technical staff in the GIS Department
- General supervision of GIS Servers and SDE databases
- Operate sophisticated engineering workstation computers and peripherals, running advanced GIS applications in a networked, multi-tasking environment;
- Developing complex spatial and textual database queries and procedures in response to informational requirements provided by the users of GIS data;
- Develop applications and macros to enhance and extend the functionality of the GIS platform;
- Assist in developing standards and practices for GIS operation;
- Data management and development of database queries using a relational database server;
- Evaluation and implementation of new technology;
- Design, generate and organize thematic spatial data;
- Accurately enter spatial data;
- Convert data to or from a variety of formats for use by other organizations and in other applications;
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
Must be a graduate of a recognized two-year Geographic Information Systems Technology Program, or equivalent, supplemented with courses in computer programming.
Skills & Abilities:
- Proficient in computer programming in macro and high level languages.
- Extensive knowledge in the use of state of the art GIS systems, including Arc SDE and Geo- database;
- Knowledge of ESRI CityWorks and FME applications and techniques;
- Ability to perform advanced SQL queries against a Microsoft SQL Server database;
- Ability to solve complex problems based on unclear or poorly defined information;
- Working knowledge of networked personal computers and operating systems;
- Working knowledge of the use of spreadsheet, word processing and other office applications;
- Able to evaluate working practices and establish standards for work procedures and the use of technical resources
- Able to work with minimal supervision and to exercise judgment in the performance of duties in accordance with established priorities;
- Able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with Department officials and other members of staff;
- Ability to write clear and concise procedures, standards and records of work completed.
We offer an hourly rate of $37.09 - 43.64 and an excellent benefits package. Qualified candidates are encouraged to visit jobs.chilliwack.com to create your on-line profile and apply today.
Competition Number: 2019-59 Closing Date: June 27, 2019 4:30 pm