Senior Water Resource Engineer (Rainwater & Green Infrastructure)
Senior Water Resource Engineer (Rainwater & Green Infrastructure)Requisition ID: 12825
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
The Senior Water Resource Engineer (Rainwater and Green Infrastructure) position will provide leadership and engineering expertise to an inter-disciplinary, inter-departmental team responsible for leading the development and implementation of the City’s Integrated Rainwater Management Plan and Green Infrastructure Strategy. The position will be focused on immediate application of rainwater management and green infrastructure strategies in to current planning as well as internal and external design.
The role will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in clean water, water-sensitive urban design, integrated water service delivery, access to nature in the urban environment, fostering a green economy and building a resilient city in the face of a changing climate.
- Provide leadership, forward thinking and engineering design and implementation expertise to a team of highly motivated and inter-disciplinary professionals
- Develop and apply frameworks to identify, evaluate, and prioritize integration of rainwater management and green infrastructure in transportation and other public realm capital projects
- Develop guidance materials and processes related to capital design, construction, establishment, operations and maintenance and monitoring and performance evaluation plans for public realm green infrastructure delivered by external developers, designers and/or contractors
- Prepare materials and design specification package, design concept development, inter-departmental liaison, design reviews and approvals, construction inspections as well as compliance review for externally designed green infrastructure for the private realm
- Develop and manage consultant and construction contracts (including scopes of work, requests for proposals and contract execution), develop budgets for infrastructure capital works and forecast operational and maintenance needs for capital works
- Develop a framework, process and metrics by which to evaluate and learn from the design, construction, maintenance and performance of GI installations and to support continuous improvement in our implementation efforts
- Liaise with other City departments to coordinate the design, planning and construction of green infrastructure
- Provide strategic and technical support for major, city-led planning or policy initiatives that require an integrated approach to rainwater management
- Supervise engineers and other technical staff
- Represent the Green Infrastructure Implementation Branch in departmental and organizational strategic plans and planning programs
- Prepare technical reports, council reports, presentations, letters & memos
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil, Water Resource or Environmental Engineering
- Minimum 8 years of experience as a professional engineer
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A sound working knowledge and experience in the application of engineering principles to the design and construction of green infrastructure and other rainwater management systems
- Strong leadership, supervisory and collaboration skills
- Strong project management experience to effectively deal with multiple tasks of moderate complexity
- Experience reviewing and providing direction on designs developed by external consultant teams, construction field inspections and lifecycle asset management for green infrastructure
- Experience developing and managing consultant and construction contracts
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge or skill in using computer software such as AutoCAD, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and to provide professional interdisciplinary advice and technical guidance while functioning effectively in a team environment
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2019
Application Close: July 3rd, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.