Streets Design Civil Engineer
Streets Design Civil EngineerRequisition ID: 13606
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This position reports to the Streets Engineer and Section Head – Streets Design and works with a high degree of independence. As the Engineer of Record for Streets Design projects, this position supports the City’s development of sustainable, accessible and efficient transportation systems. The Streets Design Civil Engineer will be responsible for directly supervising the work of designers and drafters.
The Streets Design Civil Engineer will also contribute to the implementation of the Branch’s strategic plan and the on-going improvement of the team’s processes and service delivery.
As part of the Streets Design Branch, this position will have the opportunity to lead and/or review design work for major developments in the City, significant City-initiated capital projects and contribute to the development of public realm plans.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as Engineer of Record for Streets Design projects in accordance with the City’s Quality Management System, including Organizational Quality Management (OQM) procedures
- Provides technical review and advice for internal and external stakeholders
- Implements innovative design solutions to respond to resident requests
- Reviews development related civil engineering design packages, including coordination with other functional teams
- Communicates, liaises, negotiates, and sets requirements with other branches, stakeholders, developers, and consultants on streets design related issues
- Works with project management and coordination staff to monitor construction, certify completion, and close out streets design projects as assigned
- Leads internal studies, reviews, and case studies of streets design infrastructure and design and construction details/standards
- Oversees special studies, designs, and construction projects involving consultants and external stakeholders
- Accepts completed street assets on behalf of the City
- Recommends design standards according to industry best practices
- Work cooperatively with internal and external design teams to design infrastructure that effectively manages storm water within City right-of-way, and develop details/specifications for, and implement, green storm water infrastructure
- Develops annual program and project budgets for the street drainage and catch basin program
- Assists in compiling and analyzing data, developing and monitoring metric and benchmarking programs, and making related recommendations, including departmental metrics and project and program related results
Education and Experience:
- A bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering
- A minimum 5 years of related experience with at least 2 years in civil engineering road design
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Technical competence in road design, design principles, processes & best practices
- Ability to act as Engineer of Record for streets design projects including detailed road design, road drainage design, construction details, road widening, narrowing, or realignment to serve multiple transportation modes, sidewalk, paths, and plazas
- Working knowledge of contract law and MMCD contracts & specifications, experience with construction and technical contract management
- Experience managing streets and transportation design and construction projects
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, conflict resolution and communication skills
- Ability to lead and work collaboratively with professional staff engaged on a project
- Self-motivated and ability to work with little supervision
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills in a high-volume and high stress environment; able to multi-task
- Proven ability to identify, analyze, report on and implement effective solutions to problems
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to establish productive, professional working relationships at all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to deal with internal and external customers in a positive, courteous and respectful manner
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start: August, 2019
Application Close: June 30, 2019
The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our internal careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.