Executive Director - Portage Regional Economic Development
City of Portage la Prairie
Portage Regional Economic Development
The City of Portage la Prairie and the surrounding municipality is a progressive community with an area population of approximately 20,000 inhabitants. Located in south-central Manitoba. The Portage region is, and always has been, an important transportation centre, dating back to its inception as a fur-trading post. Today, it is connected to the rest of Canada via the Trans-Canada Highway and Yellowhead Highway, with service from both major railroads, a trans-continental bus service, and air through Southport Airport. It is at this intersection of ideas, agricultural rich lands and world-wide connectivity that the Portage Regional Economic Development office (PRED) operates (www.plprecd.ca).
The Executive Director is a confident entrepreneurial leader with demonstrated collaboration skills leading to successful economic, tourism and community outcomes. Reporting to the Board of Directors of the PRED, the Executive Director is responsible for facilitating, promoting and ensuring community, economic and tourism development.
- Oversee the overall management of PRED, including but not limited to the:
- Financial reporting and budgeting;
- Employees; and
- Stakeholder relationships.
- Develop, implement and monitor a strategic plan including key performance indicators in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
- Secure funding for projects, activities and programs.
- Strengthen the region’s economic infrastructure by seeking out investment and economic development leads aimed at attracting new and complementary economic development activities for the city and the municipality.
- Enhance the existing database of companies and businesses in the region for distribution and identification of opportunities for prospective clients.
- Prepare economic studies and create reports that will lead to improved identification of economic opportunities that will benefit the municipality.
- Provide guidance to all developers, entrepreneurs or individuals in their investment development projects in the region, direct them toward the appropriate resources, provide information on available government and private assistance, accompany them during their work process, facilitate the implementation of projects, negotiate contracts and ensure follow-up in the municipal approval process.
- Offer advice to various stakeholders on issues that could have an economic impact, as well as provide advice on trends from a development perspective.
- Prepare and present reports and make recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Work with various partners and stakeholders at the local, provincial and federal levels in the matter of industrial and commercial business connections in order to stimulate the local economy and generate innovating projects.
- Identify, coordinate and attend targeted business events sponsored by economic groups (agencies, boards of directors, committees, working groups and others) at the local, regional, provincial and national levels in order to promote the municipality’s economic assets.
- Ensure compliance with local, provincial and federal economic development regulations.
Professional Expertise and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, urban planning, or another related field, or a combination of a college degree and experience
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of experience in economic development, community development, business development or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of management and economic development procedures.
- Knowledge of the applicable laws, regulations and local, provincial and federal codes regarding economic development and how government manages economic development.
- Knowledge of commercial management, particularly at the municipal level an asset.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Have good public and interpersonal relations skills.
- Keen sense of business, ability to identify results-oriented opportunities and motivated by the idea of attracting new clients on the regional and national scene.
- Ability to negotiate contracts and write clear and convincing proposals.
- Good knowledge of project management.
- Good understanding of the principle of analysis and profitability, and knowledge on how to influence it.
- Ability to identify opportunities, establish goals and implement an action plan.
- Ability in organization, establishing priorities, and follow-up.
- Ability to adapt to unexpected circumstances and work under pressure.
- Ability to manage confidential and sensitive business and client information.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Self-driven, enthusiasm, tactful and diplomatic
PRED offers a comprehensive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The selection committee intends to review applications as early as June 28, 2019; however, applications may continue to be accepted until the right candidate is found. Send your resumes complete with a cover letter by email to HR@city-plap.com.
Portage la Prairie is a dynamic community of 21,000 including our urban and rural population, offering the quality of life of a smaller community with amenities of a major centre. Bolstered by recent investment activity in excess of $1.2 billion and the creation of more than 500 new jobs which has inspired both commercial and residential development.
We thank all applicants for applying; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.