Superintendent of Parks, Trails and Buildings
Looking for a career as a Superintendent of Parks, Trails and Buildings in an outstanding community?
Town of Qualicum Beach
Competition No: 2019-09
Superintendent of Parks, Trails and Buildings
The Town of Qualicum Beach (population 9,000) centrally located on the east coast of Vancouver Island, 30 minutes north of Nanaimo, offers an unparalleled quality of life. This beautiful Oceanside community has abundant recreational opportunities, including three golf courses within the municipality and three others in close proximity, as well as fishing, hiking, biking and, less than one hour away, skiing and snowboarding at Mt. Washington Alpine Resort. Our community values the protection and enhancement of the natural environment, cares about global issues, and has a strong vision of a sustainable Qualicum Beach. The ideal candidate will share the community’s passion for outdoor recreation, as well as the commitment to sustainability. Join us!
Reporting to the Director of Engineering and Operations, the Superintendent of Parks, Trails and Buildings is responsible for overseeing the operations, maintenance, and continuous improvement of the network of parks, trails and various buildings of the Town of Qualicum Beach. This position also provides technical advice on departmental operations as well as the coordination of special projects in departmental areas as assigned.
The successful candidate will have proven leadership and management practices including demonstrated experience supervising and directing employees within a unionized environment and a strong ability to build and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with employees, peers, industry professionals and community organizations. Sound project and time management skills are essential to this position as well as an in-depth understanding of federal, provincial, regional and local regulations, current industry standards, asset management practices, WorkSafeBC regulations and health and safety best practices.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The ideal candidate must be able to perform all work duties with considerable independent judgment under broad guidelines with a high standard of work ethics.
- Thorough knowledge of WorksafeBC regulations and requirements;
- A thorough knowledge of building codes, local bylaws, safety regulations and other relevant local, provincial and federal government regulations;
- Knowledge of the principles of landscaping, forestry and a variety of other fields related to parks and trails would be an asset;
- Knowledge of general building and utility maintenance and related skilled trades and equipment to supervise on-site construction projects;
- Ability to read and understand engineering plans and blueprint drawings;
- Ability to work as part of an integrated team and the ability to work independently;
- Exceptional judgment, problem solving, and analytical skills;
- Excellent planning, project, and time management skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to translate technical language into easily-understandable concepts and actions for all levels of users;
- Demonstrated supervisory experience;
- Ability to plan, prioritize, assign and supervise the work of assigned project teams;
- Ability to influence others and gain their support and commitment;
- Ability to research and draft contract agreements, bylaws, and other reports;
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with Council, staff, outside agencies and the general public in processing a variety of matters, including inquiries, complaints, etc.;
- Ability to work with limited supervision in a position requiring a high degree of accuracy, efficiency, diplomacy and confidentiality.
Required Training, Education and Experience
- Diploma, trades qualification or degree in a related discipline from a recognized institution;
- Valid BC Class 5 Drivers’ License;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ progressive supervisory experience, preferably within a unionized environment;
- Experience working with municipal government is considered an asset.
An equivalent combination of experience and training acceptable to the Employer may also be considered.
Note: The successful candidate must be willing and able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as required.
This position is an exempt position. Compensation is based on experience and offers a competitive benefit package including our commitment to ongoing training.
To apply: Please quote competition number and submit your resume and cover letter to: Human Resources #201 – 660 Primrose Street, P.O. Box 130 Qualicum Beach, BC V9K 1S7 Email: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: June 28, 2019 at 4pm
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.