Director, Education Services
BC School Trustees Association
Director, Education ServicesReports To: Chief Executive Officer
Closing Date: June 24, 2019
The British Columbia School Trustees Association (BCSTA) is seeking a full-time Director of Education Services. This position is responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing the board and trustee professional learning activities of the BC School Trustees Association (BCSTA) as well as our external facilitation and performance review functions. Further, at the direction of the CEO, the Director may be called upon to support strategic organizational direction, including background information papers and presentations dealing with key or emergent education sector issues.
The Director, Education Services also works together with the CEO in implementing association-wide approaches to support member boards and trustees in advocacy, communications and professional learning. The Director, Education Services is a member of BCSTA’s senior staff team and helps to lead organizational and strategic planning. In the absence of the CEO, the Director may be called upon to serve as the key contact within the office and for our Board.
- Leading, planning, organizing, presenting at, and evaluating BCSTA conferences and events such as our Trustee Academy, Leadership Development Series, and AGM Learning Program
- Supporting the work of the Board of Directors and CEO with a variety of education partners, the Ministry of Education, and other branches and levels of government
- Reviewing emerging developments in education from government, research and field practice, identifies trends, proposes critical themes, and drafts resource materials as necessary
- Plans, coordinates, and assesses trustee and board professional learning programs such as regional Branch programs and Provincial Council meetings
- Prepares and implements various methods for assessing the learning needs of Boards and, based on assessments, develops a variety of professional learning options for our members, including on-line resources
- Provides in-district consultation and facilitation assistance. Prepares and delivers educational and planning workshops in response to member requests.
- Assesses the content, relevance, satisfaction, timing and member participation in current internal and external professional learning programs
- Assists the Association, member Boards of Education and trustees to refine and improve their capacity to carry out their governance and oversight roles
- Provides a key supporting leadership role to the Board of Directors and other staff
- Direct experience as part of a school district senior management team, including work with the Board of Education
- Significant experience organizing and facilitating a wide range of educational events, presentations, facilitated discussions or conferences
- Significant knowledge and understanding of the K-12 education sector, with a focus on governance
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant education or management discipline
- Demonstrated strong educational planning, facilitation and presentation skills
- Knowledge of, and skill in using, a wide variety of office, communication, presentation and program delivery technologies and techniques
- Excellent writing and editing skills as well as strong critical thinking and planning skills
- Ability to lead as a member of an organizational team
- Budget development and monitoring skills
- Strong member and staff service focus, including the ability and willingness to deliver programs in a variety of locations around the province
Preferred Abilities, Knowledge and Skills:
- A strong understanding of the role of elected school boards and BCSTA
- In-depth knowledge of current public education issues in British Columbia
- An understanding of the BC public education system components and functions
- A strong personal commitment to public education and local governance
- An ability to communicate well with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Experience working in a political environment with all levels of government
BCSTA offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
Please send curriculum vitae packages by June 24, 2019 to:
Subject: “Director, Education Services”
Candidates must be available for face-to-face interviews at BCSTA’s Vancouver office.
The British Columbia School Trustees Association serves and supports our members, BC’s BoardsEducation, in their key work of improving student achievement. At the local level, as boards seek to engage their communities in this work, BCSTA provides professional learning, legal counsel, and communications support. Provincially, our non-profit Association acts as a strong, unified voice for Boards of Education in advocating to government, other education partners, and the public on matters affecting public education.
For more information, please visit www.bcsta.org.