Strategic and Corporate Planning Director
Strategic and Corporate Planning Director
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) the Strategic and Corporate Planning Director demonstrates and draws on expertise acquired from extensive, varied and progressively responsible experience to support the County Council and CAO in the development of the corporate business plan and facilitating the development of department business plans. The Strategic and Corporate Planning Director will assist the CAO to report on the overall achievement of the Strategic Plan.
The Director is accountable to manage a wide range of duties and will work independently and in teams, as the situation dictates, to assist the County Council and CAO with planning, organization and performance management of corporate projects – this includes, facilitating, monitoring, scheduling, work, budgets, and expenditures – and organizing and participating in stakeholder meetings, and ensuring that corporate business plan initiatives and project deadlines are met in a timely manner.
The Director is responsible for collaborating and coordinating with all levels of County management to ensure corporate strategies and key corporate projects and initiatives are in place to implement the Council’s Strategic Goals in a measured manner, with clear outcomes that reflect the corporate business plan.
Strategic and Corporate Planning
- Facilitate the translation from Strategic Goals to Corporate Business Plan.
- Providing strategic advice to the CAO and in extension the Executive Leadership.
- A strong strategic analytical focus that guides the development of key performance indicators in order to monitor progress of projects that implement the Corporate Business Plan.
- Collaboration, facilitation, research, internal tracking
- Facilitate best practices
- Development and management of project plans as directed by the Corporate Business Plan.
- Assist County Management with advice and guidance to build department business plans.
- Review strategic, corporate and departmental business plans regularly to ensure tasks and milestones are being achieved in a timely manner and preparation of governance reports, project status reports, presentations, agendas etc. are completed.
- Undertake detailed data collection and analysis to inform Corporate decision-making
- Take an active part in the project issue/risk management process, by contributing to the identification and prioritization of existing and potential issues and risks, and helping to develop strategies and controls to mitigate these. Use sound judgement to identify which issues and risks should be escalated to the CAO, and prepare relevant reports/documentation.
- Check project compliance with Council Policy and administrative procedures, and highlight any issues to the CAO.
- Provide professional advice and guidance during the implementation of initiatives and projects.
- Provide a skilled facilitation service to support the projects or any teams assembled to assist in achieving expectations. This means employing effective
- organizational and administrative processes, together with knowledge and/or experience of project management practices, to facilitate the successful achievement of the project objectives.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of employees and stakeholders including elected officials, project sponsors, executive and senior managers, stakeholders/customers, and other project team members and managers, external agencies and vendors.
- Help build project management capability within the County through collaboration, leadership support, coaching and mentoring others and generally encouraging the appropriate use of project management techniques by others.
- Supervise contractors and staff as assigned.
- Adhere to Health and Safety Legislation and Rocky View County safe work policies and procedures at all times, ensuring the protection and safety of self, co-workers, the public and environment.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned in support of the CAO as required by the position or as assigned.
- Undertake personal development to maintain a leading-edge knowledge of analysis techniques, and external trends in related environments.
Completion of a Bachelor degree in Business Administration, and a minimum of three (3) years in municipal administration (combination of equivalencies may be considered). Training or degree in strategic planning or equivalent is considered an asset. MBA would be ideal.
The Director will:
- possess positive public relations and have exceptional oral verbal, written and presentation skills;
- possess a strong ability for attention to detail, accuracy, timing and scheduling of work for this position, with the ability to meet demanding deadlines;
- be able to work effectively both independently and as part of a team;
- knowledge and experience working with the principles and methods of strategic planning, program evaluation, performance measurement, and results reporting;
- have knowledge and experience with file management, transcription, and other administrative procedures;
- have proven ability to work on tight deadlines;
- superior organizational skills:
- be proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point); and,
- possess a valid Alberta driver's license and have access to reliable transportation.
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SUCCESS FACTORS
- Effectively cooperate with members within and outside of the Team. Working with a group of people; seeking the input of group members; valuing ethnic and cultural diversity on the team for the perspectives it provides; keeping team members informed; finding ways to resolve conflict within the group; and, articulating a mission or "vision" which motivates others towards the accomplishment of goals and objectives.
- Investing time and energy into understanding the evolving nature of their role within the organization, and developing the skills, behaviors, procedures and perspectives to be successful.
- Setting objectives which are specific and clearly communicated, measurable, challenging but realistically achievable, and time targeted.
- Taking responsibility for clarifying the expectations of others; acknowledging how personal decisions, actions and standards of performance influence work accomplishments; accepting responsibility for work accomplishments; and, recognizing changes required to achieve better results going forward.
- Creating honest, trusting and successful working relationships with others (inside and outside the organization) by consistently demonstrating competence and reliability in job performance, and representing what is best about the organization through demonstrated principles, actions, and communications.
A competitive compensation package will be provided including an attractive base salary and excellent benefits. Further details will be discussed in a personal interview.
FOR INFORMATION: PLEASE CONTACT
Allan Nelson OR Laura Youngberg
530, 1000 – 7 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 5L5
Phone: (403) 263-0600