Project Manager II (Facilities - Quality Control)
Project Manager II (Facilities - Quality Control)Requisition ID: 13326
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Project Manager II (Facilities – Quality Control) ensures consistency and quality in facilities capital project delivery across Facilities Planning and Development, with an emphasis on refining and updating project management policies, procedures and tools. The objective of this work is to optimize and standardize project delivery going forward, and to organize best practices and internal procedures in the most efficient and financially sustainable manner, aligning with the City’s strategic goals. The Project Manager II may also be responsible for leading project teams in the design, construction, and delivery of civic capital projects.
If you’re looking to be part of a wide variety of projects that will positively impact the City, apply to join our team of hard working professionals.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure consistency and quality in project delivery across Facilities Planning and Development, including refining and updating project management policies, procedures and tools.
- Prepare project descriptions and/or conceptual plans to illustrate project requirement for project justification.
- Prepare project budget and Council Reports for approval by senior staff and Council.
- Act as the City’s representative and liaise between consultants, clients and City Departments in matters pertaining to projects program, design, construction, and contracts.
- Manage projects to ensure that the program or requirements, including the City’s sustainability policies, is incorporated into the project.
- Monitor the progress of the work related to budget, schedule, sustainability, quality and completeness; identify problems; evaluate if alternate approaches should be taken to meet the targets.
- Ensure the projects meet all the program requirements and are delivered within the approved budget and timelines.
- Review tenders and construction documents and obtain tenders.
- Review plans at various stages for conformity with the program of requirements, cost-effectiveness, and inclusion of later requests made through correspondence or meetings.
- Review change orders, progress payment certificates and recommend payment.
- Review and maintain project cost data and issue monthly reports.
- Review construction to ascertain it is in general conformance with contract documents.
- Review consultants’ review and testing reports and recommend action where appropriate.
- Review legal agreement with consultants, contractors etc. and recommend actions as appropriate.
- Review and recommend change orders and invoices.
- Represent the Department on City committees as required.
- Represent the City’s interest in meetings as the owner’s Project Manager.
- Assist other City Departments in the receipt of Amenity Bonus spaces, including liaising with Law Department on the agreements related to these spaces.
- Create new and update existing technical guidelines for delivery of civic facilities.
- Prepare service level agreements as part of lease agreements for city owned facilities.
- Provide technical oversight of spaces delivered to the City through private developments or other partners.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Architecture or Engineering.
- Registered Professional Architect or Engineer in the Province of BC.
- Project Management training/certificate such as a PMP designation would be an asset.
- Minimum five years of proven and progressive project management experience in facility development.
- Experience in the design and construction of civic buildings.
- Experience in the project management of civic buildings and related facilities.
- Experience in estimating costs of a variety of building projects, types of materials, methods of estimating and classes of estimates.
- Extensive experience in preparing construction specifications and consulting agreements.
- Experience with quality control and process improvement.
- Experience in preparing and managing capital budgets.
- Familiarity with all aspects of building project delivery to the standard outlined in the Canadian Handbook of Practice for Architects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of institutional building design and construction practices.
- Knowledge of sustainable building design and construction practices.
- Knowledge of the City of Vancouver Permit practices.
- Ability to review, analyze and effectively critique building plans, specifications and contract documents.
- Ability to deal effectively with architects, engineers, contractors, City Departments and the general public to establish cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to analyze complex situations, determine appropriate courses of action and prepare reports related to the same for discussion.
- Ability to write clear, concise and complete reports.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Results-oriented with the ability to effectively manage multiple projects with tight time lines.
- Knowledge of the City’s set of business programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.
Driver License and Record Checks
- A current and valid Class (appropriate class for position) BC Driver’s License with (endorsements such as Air Brakes) or higher and a Satisfactory driving record
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2019
Application Close: June 21, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.