Posting No. 2019-30
May 24, 2019
4:30 pm, June 24, 2019
$35.92 (after probation)
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week
The City of Dawson Creek is looking for a full time Planner position reporting to the Development Services Manager, or designate, and will be responsible for processing a range of development applications and referrals, responding to general inquiries, and providing support to the Manager. The Planner will require general planning knowledge (theory, practice, legislation and case law), and the ability to interpret policies, regulations, and legislation, as well as the ability to prepare and present comprehensive planning reports.
- A university degree in Planning or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A working knowledge and understanding of the Local Government Act and other Provincial policies and legislation applicable to land use planning in the Province of BC;
- Understanding of common law principles and legislative conventions applicable to land use planning;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a supervised team environment;
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and diplomatic working relationships with applicants, staff, agencies and the public;
- Demonstrated sensitivity to political issues and impacts;
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and manage and prioritize workload;
- Ability to maintain organized and complete files;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to work with minimal supervision exercising considerable judgment to establish priorities and complete the duties of the position;
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and a high level of trust and respect across the organization;
- Ability to interpret, implement and adhere to organizational policies and procedures;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite; and
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s licence.
Preference will be given to candidates with minimum 1 year’s prior experience in planning, or who hold, or are eligible for, membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners. The successful applicant will have the ability to perform all duties in a safe manner and the ability to maintain harmonious relationships with all members of the public and other staff members.
A complete job description is available upon request.
Candidates should submit a résumé marked with the job posting name and number at by emailing a pdf or word document to Elisa Valentin at email@example.com, with the job posting name and number in the subject line, no later than 4:30 pm on the closing date referenced above. The City thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Dawson Creek is committed to accommodating persons with disabilities whenever reasonably possible during the selection and employment process. You must be legally entitled to work for any employer in Canada to be eligible for this position. By applying for this position, you are giving permission for the City to contact your previous employers and references.