Position Type: Auxiliary
Department: High Performance
Applicant Closing Date: June 9, 2019
Anticipated Start Date: June 2019
The Richmond Olympic Oval is a breathtaking venue on the banks of the Fraser River. Located in the City of Richmond, a culturally diverse and geographically unique community centrally located on Canada's West Coast, in Metro Vancouver. The Richmond Olympic Oval is an international centre of excellence for sports, health and wellness, culture and entertainment used by members of our community and those seeking to wear the maple leaf on the international stage.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is seeking a passionate individual with a love for volleyball and experience coaching groups and/or private volleyball lessons that are in line with Volleyball Canada’s standards and curriculum. This position involves planning and delivery of volleyball programs for athletes between the ages of 10 through to adult – includes working with groups, and private 1:1’s. This position is based on program registrants and provides growth and coaching development opportunities. Applicants must be able to work evenings and weekends.
About the Volleyball Centre of Excellence Program:
The Volleyball Canada Centre of Excellence (“VCCE”) at the Richmond Oval is the original Volleyball Centre of Excellence in Canada and helped develop the program and curriculum for the 16 Centres of Excellence now established across Canada. We provide high performance training for grade 8-12 Team BC level and committed club athletes with aspirations to play in university or one day for a national team.
Examples of Work
- Provides leadership while on the courts to ensure that participants enjoy a fun and safe environment.
- Responsible for the planning and instruction of the sessions and ensure they meet the Richmond Olympic Oval standard.
- Evaluates and determines appropriate placement of participants.
- Ensure lesson plans meet the needs of program participants’ appropriate level.
- Demonstrates clear communication techniques to participants in a professional manner.
- Keeps parents informed and involved with the progress of their child.
- Provides first aid to participants that are injured during programs.
- Provides feedback on programs through talking to participants and parents.
- Provides conflict resolution and enforces program rules pertaining to safety.
- Ensure participants are engaged by creating a fun, skill-building, and educational experience during lessons through games and activities that are safe and appropriate for the class.
- Successful completion of Grade 12.
- NCCP Development Coach Certified (level 1) or higher
- Proven experience in providing volleyball instruction at all levels, ages, and abilities.
- Experience working with children.
- Must have an extensive background and knowledge in volleyball and sport instruction.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Successful completion of a Criminal Record Check
Hourly Rate, dependent on category of booking (Regular, Private 1:1`s or Special Groups)
Our workplace values are the guiding principles that are most important to us about the way that we work.
Aligning with the City of Richmond, the Richmond Olympic Oval is an incredibly diverse and high performing values-based organization. Our values (People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation) are at the core of what we do; they define our culture, represent our collective conscience, and define the basic principles by which we operate. Our values govern the way we make decisions, guide us as we interact with our community, and shape our unique workplace culture and environment.
- Access to 20,000sq ft fitness centre with top class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, 4-storey climbing wall, YYoga studio, endless fitness classes, Olympic sized ice rinks and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum.
- Collaborative team environment.
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.