Planning Technician 2
Planning Technician 2
Regular Full Time
The City of Coquitlam is the sixth largest city in BC, home to more than 150,000 residents. Our municipality continues to grow through innovative urban design, inspiring arts, culture and recreation programs, and state-of-the-art transportation systems. Our brand is built on managing our resources in a responsible and sustainable manner, while supporting a vibrant, growing regional urban centre.
The City of Coquitlam is currently recruiting for a full time Planning Technician 2 to join our team of professionals in the Development Services Division of the Planning and Development Department. This is a CUPE 386 position.
Reporting to the Senior Planner, your responsibilities will focus on processing moderately complex development applications, including preparing reports for and presenting to Council-in-Committee or Regular Council. This work will include moderately complex technical and clerical work related to examining and checking plans and development applications for compliance with the City’s Zoning By-law, Official Community Plan and other relevant bylaws and policies. You will discuss plans, applications and non-conformance issues with senior staff, clarify problem areas and make recommendations for revisions. You will provide a variety of detailed technical information, interpretation and assistance on development applications, bylaw requirements and related policies to home owners, developers, the general public, internal departments and external agencies. You will also conduct research, assemble background material and prepare reports on various departmental issues; compile information for inclusion in division reports; participate in public consultation events and provide guidance to junior staff as required.
The ideal candidate should possess a diploma or university degree in planning or a related discipline supplemented by technical courses related to the work plus sound related experience, preferably in a Municipal Government setting or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Furthermore, the ideal candidate should demonstrate:
- Knowledge of a Zoning By-law, Official Community Plan, Design Guidelines and the Local Government Act applicable to the work.
- Sound knowledge of Planning Principles.
- Sound knowledge departmental functions, objectives, policies and procedures.
- Proven experience in customer service.
- Ability to interpret moderately complex technical information, policies and procedures and explain them to the public.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret various construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to conduct accurate and independent research in support of planning issues, using various sources and to use software applications to analyze, interpret and make recommendations based on information obtained.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in written form, to prepare and present reports.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to function as a team player.
The City offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Please apply online by 5 p.m. May 30, 2019 at coquitlam.ca/jobs
The City of Coquitlam is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.