Communications Specialist – Engineering (Community Services Coordinator 2)
City of Surrey
Communications Specialist – Engineering
(Community Services Coordinator 2)
Surrey is one of the largest and most diverse communities in Canada and we’re getting bigger. Our Engineering Department is a true leader championing many high-profile projects and key initiatives. As our community grows, so does our need to ensure that our residents and partners are informed and engaged regarding issues and initiatives that affect our community.
Reporting to the Engineering Communications Manager, we’re looking for a flexible and confident self-starter with demonstrated skills across the spectrum of communications and public engagement. As a generalist, this position works across all divisions in the Department to raise its profile and impact and support implementation of its programs.
If you are a results-oriented communications professional who brings innovation, creativity, problem solving and teamwork to your work, consider joining our team.
- Plans, develops and implements proactive communications programs and strategies from both the corporate and client group perspective, ensuring that external communication is professional and consistent
- Plans, designs and coordinates public engagement initiatives and events from concept to final product through consultation with internal partners, determining the appropriate level of public engagement and appropriate techniques for various capital projects, strategic initiatives and programs
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of communications and engagement activities in terms of meeting departmental and/or program objectives
- Acts as a strategic partner providing professional service through advise, recommendations, support and solutions of appropriate marketing mix and communications best practice to internal teams to ensure public transparency, understanding, and involvement
- Effectively uses all existing communications tools and tactics, and innovates with new methods as well, to support Engineering initiatives, events, campaigns and projects
- Works collaboratively across City communications teams to ensure consistent messaging and optimal user experience
- University or college level graduation in a related discipline and a minimum 3 years of progressively responsible relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have technical experience and expertise in strategic communications planning and implementation.
- A valid BC driver’s license is required.
- Experience in developing and preparing public engagement strategies, defining problem areas, determining engagement methods, coordinating collection of input from various internal and external sources, analyzing outreach data, and preparing summary reports is an asset.
- Ability to think strategically and adapt/interpret the operations and communications needs of various divisions within the Department
- Ability to determine and advocate for best-practice communications strategies and tactics
- Skilled at producing clear and concise content and creating compelling stories across various styles and genres
- Ability to exercise independence of judgement and action in the work
- Considerable knowledge of media channels, web and social media analytics and familiarity with communication principles specific to each media
- Ability to proactively build and manage excellent working relationships and understanding of the department and its various stakeholders
- Excellent writing, substantive editing and strong verbal communications skills
- Strong ability to process information, analyze and problem-solve in a project-based environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital communications including social media strategies
- Ability to thrive in a challenging and collaborative work environment with changing priorities, coordinating involvement of others and publishing to deadline
- Computer and graphics knowledge with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative, web page editing, or equivalent computer applications
- Public sector experience and knowledge of municipal Engineering or infrastructure projects would be an asset
To be considered, please include along with your resume a cover letter and two (2) written work samples.
This job will close on June 4th, 2019.
Apply online at www.surreycareers.ca