Mechanical EngineerRequisition ID: 13248
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
We are currently looking for three Mechanical Engineers for the Equipment Management team at the Equipment Services Branch of the City of Vancouver. This position is responsible for providing project management, fleet management, and design expertise in the acquisition, modification and outfitting of all City vehicle and equipment purchases as well to major changes of existing equipment and rolling stock. Key relationships are with the City’s operations groups, including the fleet maintenance garage/shops as well as supply chain management. This role will work with the various City departments to determine equipment requirements based on operational and process needs
This position is primarily based out of the main facility located at Manitoba Yard in South Vancouver. Travel between various sites within Greater Vancouver Area is part of this role.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide mechanical engineering expertise and guidance to City departments when replacing vehicles and equipment. Determine specifications and order new vehicles and equipment.
- Provide detailed design for outfitting new equipment. Provide mechanical design and failure expertise and guidance to the City.
- Perform safe design modifications to existing City fleet
- Analyze annual maintenance costs to determine optimum financial lifecycles for City equipment. Perform failure analysis and guidance on repairs with respect of current government regulations and design codes
- Analyze fleet emission profiles and determine appropriate actions to implement emission reduction strategies
- Analyze fleet utilization throughout the City and provide appropriate guidance and recommendations to Council, departments, and branches regarding vehicle and equipment usage
- Prepare reports, business cases, and presentations
- Prepare a budget plan and analyze capital and operating costs for the fleet
- Manage projects by establishing, tracking and providing updates on timelines, budgets and risks
Education and Experience:
- A university degree in Mechanical Engineering and experience in fleet management, asset management, project management, equipment procurement, maintenance and repairs or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia.
- An Engineer-In-Training with related experience can be considered
- Experience in developing equipment strategies and failure analysis
- A current and valid Class 5 BC driver’s license with a clean driving abstract is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering design, technical and practical experience relative to the truck/fleet and or the equipment industry would be an asset
- Ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks, prioritizing, setting and meeting competing deadlines
- Excellent report writing, verbal communication and inter-personal skills. Strong leadership, facilitation, and conflict resolution skills in creating and working in a team environment
- Well-developed critical thinking, with an ability to apply logic and challenge assumption
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office suit and working knowledge of SAP
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June 2019
Number of positions: 3
Application Close: May 22, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.