Director of Growth Services
Director of Growth ServicesFull-time/Permanent
Comp #: GRO-19-30
The City of Wetaskiwin
Wetaskiwin is a dynamic and growing city of approximately 12,600 people and it is known for its many green spaces, rich history, celebrated events and overall high quality of life for residents. Even more recently, however, the City of Wetaskiwin has come to be known for its accessibility, transparency and creative community outreach. Located only 35 minutes south of Edmonton and 55 minutes north of Red Deer, the City of Wetaskiwin provides all of the amenities and quality of life of an urban-rural center.
Director of Growth Services
Reporting to the City Manager, this position is responsible for providing strategic leadership for the Growth Services Division which includes Engineering, Planning & Development, Economic Development, Assessment and Airport Management. The incumbent will develop and oversee the implementation of short and long term plans within the City’s strategic plan; provides advice in area of specialization to City Management and to Council; provides leadership and direction to managers and employees within their department. This division proactively undertakes: primary land use planning; prioritization of land use planning applications; the placement of new infrastructure; planned timely reinvestment and expansion of existing infrastructure; proactive identification and responsiveness to industry and other business development requests; as well as responsiveness and oversight regarding development and subdivision approvals. This position will facilitate development and execution of the regional and inter-municipal agenda.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provide senior leadership to the Division in the context of Council’s approved Strategic Plan and the Corporate Business Plan reflecting priority initiatives, as well as financial/human resources & governing legislation.
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership to provide consistent direction and encourage teamwork to enable integrated growth and long term planning efforts in accordance with strategy and City policy.
- Provide advice to the City Manager and Elected Officials in the establishment of strategic objectives, policies, and program plans that enable growth and long term planning.
- Oversee and inspect contracted assessment and remittance to the provincial assessor.
- Ensure optimal allocation and stewardship of financial resources (capital and annual budgets), human resources and assets allocated to the Growth Services.
- Foster positive and responsible working relationships within and outside the division, with other governments, agencies, adjacent and partner municipalities, the private sector/industry, community organizations and residents.
- Ensure divisional departments respond in an effective and timely manner to Council inquiries and complex or controversial community and development issues.
- Ensure quality evidence-based decisions, integrity of actions, timeliness and efficiency of work through effective management, presentations, meetings and working relationships with Council, City administration, and community/business leaders.
- Cultivates a shared understanding of corporate goals by fostering teamwork, employee empowerment, involvement & accountability.Provide visionary leadership that is consultative and responsive; demonstrates open communication and practices fairness.
- Identifies and supports learning and development opportunities that enhance organizational effectiveness and aligns with the City’s strategic plan.
- Develops objectives for direct reports with setting annual goals and performance expectations. Supervise activities of direct report. Provide on-going job performance feedback, mentoring and coaching to direct report.
- Adheres to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the City of Wetaskiwin Health and Safety Management System.
- Actively participate in the City Emergency Management program and procedures.
- Work directly with elected officials in a highly political environment to resolve public and municipal issues.
- Required attendance at Council or committee meetings, public events and industry functions which are outside and in addition to normal office hours.
Skills and Experience
- Outstanding supervisory skills and administrative abilities in leading, coordinating, directing, motivating, developing and evaluating staff.
- Excellent skills and ability to provide strategic leadership, to guide/motivate staff in the development of strategies, principles, and appropriate processes to achieve growth as well as statutory and corporate strategic objectives.
- Individual values that align with the corporate values, as well as integrity, people development and approachable leadership.
- Ability to make effective decisions and provide direction on complex and emerging issues which may have substantial political, community, inter-municipal or administrative implications in a professional and timely manner.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication & presentation skills to work with Council, staff, Industry, community & business leaders, the public & all orders of government.Ability to manage sensitive issues effectively.
- A demanding work environment that requires making timely decisions, managing multiple projects and changing priorities, providing direction regarding complex or unique situations with high political profile, substantial financial implications or community well-being.
- Proficient in financial management.
- Competent in forecasting industry trends.
- Able to assume City Manager responsibilities in the absence of City Manager.
Education and Qualifications
- A post-secondary degree, supplemented with extensive management and/or leadership training.
- Eight to ten years of administrative leadership experience at a senior level.
- Enrollment or completion of the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration Program is desired.
- Membership in the Society of Local Government Managers is an asset.
- Engineering or Land Use Planning designation an asset.
- Must provide a Criminal Records Check prior to employment commencement.
Close Date: June 4, 2019
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.