Director of Corporate Support
Director of Corporate SupportFull-time/Permanent
Comp #: CORS-19-28
The City of Wetaskiwin
Wetaskiwin is a dynamic and growing city of approximately 12,600 people and it is known for its many green spaces, rich history, celebrated events and overall high quality of life for residents. Even more recently, however, the City of Wetaskiwin has come to be known for its accessibility, transparency and creative community outreach. Located only 35 minutes south of Edmonton and 55 minutes north of Red Deer, the City of Wetaskiwin provides all of the amenities and quality of life of an urban-rural center.
Director of Corporate Support
Reporting to the City Manager, this position is responsible for outcomes of the following corporate wide service areas and activities: providing strategic leadership for the Corporate Support Division including Finance, Information Technology, Communications, Human Resources, Health and Safety, Facility Maintenance and Fleet. In addition to directing the operations of financial leadership, this position works to support the long term financial sustainability of the municipality; provides support to administration services, corporate human resources activities, and communication to internal and external customers. Additionally, this position develops and oversees the implementation of short and long term plans within the City’s strategic plan; provides advice in their area of specialization to City Management and to Council; and provides leadership and direction to managers and employees within their department.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provide senior leadership to the Division in the context of support to all corporate departments in support of community vision, strategic direction, corporate priorities, financial/human resources & governing legislation.
- Work with senior leadership to provide common direction & integrated service delivery in support of client departments, based on City policy.
- Provide advice to City Manager and Elected Officials in the establishment of strategic objectives, policies, and programs for the delivery of corporate services.
- Ensure effective, efficient and equitable management and stewardship of financial resources (capital and annual budgets), human resources and assets allocated to the Corporate Support Division.
- Fulfill the financial and other duties of a Treasurer, including planning the financial future of the City and ensuring City assets are protected and its short and long-term financial viability is not compromised.
- Foster positive and responsible working relationships with client departments and where necessary other government agencies, community organizations and residents.
- Ensure divisional departments respond in an effective and timely manner to Council inquiries and complex or controversial community issues.
- Ensure quality of decisions, integrity of actions, timeliness and efficiency of work through effective management, presentations, meetings and client working relationships with Council, City administration, the community and business leaders.
- Cultivate a shared understanding of corporate goals by fostering teamwork, employee empowerment, involvement & accountability. Provide visionary leadership that is consultative and responsive, demonstrates open communication and practices fairness.
- Develop objectives for direct reports with setting annual goals and performance expectations. Supervise activities of direct reports. Provide on-going job performance feedback, mentoring and coaching to direct reports.
- Identify and support learning and development opportunities that enhance organizational effectiveness that aligns with the City’s strategic plan
- Adhere to applicable responsibilities and accountabilities as outlined in the City of Wetaskiwin Health and Safety Management System.
- Actively participate in the City Emergency Management program and procedures.
- Required attendance at Council or committee meetings, public events and industry functions which are outside and in addition to normal office hours.
Skills and Experience
- Outstanding supervisory skills and administrative abilities in leading, coordinating, directing, motivating, developing and evaluating staff.
- Excellent skills and ability to provide strategic leadership, to guide/motivate staff in the development of strategies, principles, and appropriate processes to deliver on corporate strategic objectives; a client-service approach.
- Excellent knowledge of government programs, regulations and legislation.
- Individual values that align with the client service and values of integrity, respect, people development, teamwork and approachable leadership.
- Ability to make decisions and provide direction on complex and emerging issues which may have substantial political, community, inter-municipal or administrative implications in an effective, professional and timely manner.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication & presentation skills to work with Council, staff, community & business leaders, the public & all orders of government. Ability to manage sensitive issues effectively.
- A demanding work environment that requires making timely decisions, managing multiple projects and changing priorities, providing direction regarding complex or unique situations with high political profile, substantial financial implications or community well-being.
- Able to assume City Manager responsibilities in the absence of City Manager.
Education and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree with an accounting designation (CMA, CGA, CA, CPA) supplemented with extensive management and/or leadership training
- Enrollment or completion of the National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration Program is desired
- Eight to ten years of administrative leadership experience at a senior level.
- Experience implementing IT/ERP systems for Finance, HR and other corporate services a definite asset.
- Membership in the Society of Local Government Management.
- Must provide a Criminal Records Check prior to employment commencement.
Close Date: June 4, 2019
The City of Wetaskiwin is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.