Facilities Technician - Carpenter
Facilities Technician - Carpenter6 Month Temporary Assignment
Working for the City of Penticton means we raise families where others come for their vacation. Our home offers the best beaches, cycling trails, parks, recreation facilities and mountain escapes, not to mention all the shopping and amenities a vibrant community needs.
The Facilities Department is in search of highly skilled and energetic individuals for the 6 month temporary assignment of Facilities Technician – Carpenter. The Facilities Department is responsible for planning, design, construction, operations and maintenance of over 30 City-owned buildings. This department ensures these buildings operate at optimum efficiency to enable other City departments and lessees to effectively deliver services and programs to the community.
- Build foundations, install floor beams, lay subflooring and erect walls and roof systems.
- Fit and install trim items, such as doors, stairs, moulding and hardware.
- Maintain, repair and renovate residences and wooden structures across City owned facilities.
- Measure, cut, shape, assemble and join materials made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials.
- Performs repairs & installations and preventative maintenance on all City owned buildings.
- Provides technical design input recommendations for City facilities.
- Prepares and modifies as-built drawings for new and existing systems/structures within City facilities.
- Directs, inspects and reports on work carried out by City staff and contractors.
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and sketches to determine specifications and calculate requirements.
- Prepare layouts in conformance to building codes, using measuring tools.
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by an Interprovincial Red Seal Carpenters Certification.
- Minimum of three years’ progressively related experience, preferably in a commercial or municipal setting.
- Valid BC driver’s license, minimum Class 5. with clean driving record and the ability to drive to multiple worksites.
- Certification in workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS).
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an RCMP Police Information Check.
- Mechanical aptitude along with technology skills, including working knowledge with current business software (Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to work productively in various weather conditions.
- Strong knowledge of regulations regarding building codes.
- Strong knowledge of safety procedures and requirements.
- Detail and results oriented with the ability to adhere to shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to work with people in a positive, effective and professional manner.
- Ability to lift and work with materials up to 50 lbs.
The current wage for this position is $29.62 - $32.83 per hour (40 hours per week) plus 14% in lieu of benefits. This position also receives an hourly premium of $0.40 per hour.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume by 4:00 pm on Monday, May 20, 2019:
PLEASE QUOTE COMPETITION NO: 19-38E