Transportation & Grounds Manager
School District No. 48 (Sea to Sky)
School District No. 48 (Sea to Sky)
Transportation & Grounds ManagerSchool District No. 48 (Sea to Sky) invites applications from qualified individuals for the exempt staff position of Transportation & Grounds Manager.
Nestled in the recreation-rich Sea to Sky corridor our school district serves a population of 4,800 students. We are honored to be learning within a number of culturally vibrant communities, encompassing Squamish, Whistler, D’Arcy, Pemberton, and on the traditional territories of the Sḵwx̱ wú7mesh, Úxwumixw and St’át’yemc Nation.
Sea to Sky country is filled with beautiful scenery, endless outdoor opportunities and incredibly welcoming people. The corridor is made up of robust communities with big futures and offers a range of economic diversity from knowledge based enterprises to resort/tourism focused municipalities.
SD No. 48 (Sea to Sky) is home to a stable population of students with projections for growth. We are seeking a high performing operations professional with demonstrated success combining their passion for education with a business administration acumen.
As a member of School District 48’s management team, the Transportation & Grounds manager reports to the General Manager of Operations, and with the general direction of the Director of Operations, oversees the Transportation & Grounds Departments for the District on a cost effective, efficient basis.
This position is responsible for planning, coordinating, scheduling and supervising the work of the departments and involves travel to all the schools in each of the regions. The successful candidate will possess excellent interpersonal and management skills including tact and diplomacy, problem solving, sound judgment, and the ability to build effective working relationships.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Supervising schedules, evaluating and assigning Transportation & Grounds staff.
- Preventative Maintenance program(s), NSC/CVSE carrier obligations for buses as well as maintenance of white fleet vehicles.
- Developing and maintaining scheduled vehicle/equipment replacement program(s).
- Overseeing bus driver/grounds performance and professional development as well as maintaining an active driver recruiting program.
- Developing transportation and grounds budgets including capital bus/grounds equipment replacement programs.
- Preparing annual Ministry reports and other documents as required.
- Participating in meetings, workshops seminars and hiring procedures as required.
- Monitoring the performance of outside contractors and ensuring satisfactory completion of projects.
- Communicating with a variety of stakeholders including, but not limited to; school and district staff, parent groups, government officials and the general public.
- Overseeing the annual seminars on school bus safety for primary classes and continuing education for all students regarding bus safety.
- Overseeing and reviewing regular scheduled busing and adjusting as required.
- Working with school administration to ensure efficient, safe and adequate bus service to provide best value to schools.
- Overseeing snow removal, storm clean up, horticulture, turf management and playground safety.
- Overseeing the maintenance, repairs, design, inspection and construction of grounds equipment, playground apparatus, fencing and school grounds.
- Completion of grade 12 plus related post-secondary education and training.
- Minimum of five (5) years related experience in a supervisory capacity, preferably in a unionized environment, or an equivalent combination of training and experience in a related field.
- Proven management experience with a multi-site employer.
- Valid Class 2 BC Driver’s License with air brake endorsement.
- Extensive knowledge of the Motor Vehicle Act, National Safety Code Regulations, and, Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement (C.V.S.E) roles and expectations as it applies to the School District.
- Significant experience in grounds maintenance, civil work, horticulture and turf management.
- Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), WorkSafe BC safety regulations.
- Knowledge of Preventative Maintenance Program operation requirements and responsibilities.
- Knowledge of Traversa routing software would be an asset.
- Certificates in Turfgrass Maintenance and Sport Turf & Landscape Irrigation Systems would be an asset.
This excluded staff position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. For more information on the School District, please visit our web site at: https://sd48seatosky.org/
Please note that we ask that all applications be submitted on the Make a Future website by no later than 4:00 pm on Wednesday May 22, 2019
We thank all applicants however, only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that prospective employees, new to School District No. 48 (Sea to Sky), must agree to undergo a Criminal Records Check, as failure to do so will be grounds for refusing employment.