Legal Administrative Assistant
Legal Administrative AssistantJob ID: 3024
Location: Burnaby, BC
Reporting to the Legal Administration Supervisor, the Legal Administrative Assistant is responsible for performing legal administration services relating to the financing and development of new housing units under various government-funded social housing programs. The Legal Administrative Assistant has thorough understanding of Land Title practices regarding the preparation and registration of Land Title documents relating to purchase and sale transactions and commercial lending transactions, obtains and reviews various land related searches and corporate searches, prepares correspondence, and drafts simple contracts and various legal documents for review by external legal counsel or internal staff. The incumbent also provides legal administrative support services to internal staff and external counsel. The work requires knowledge of litigation procedures, basic corporate administration procedures and basic accounting.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- High school graduation plus successful completion of a legal secretary course and courses in real estate which are prerequisites to the academic Legal Administrative Assistant Certificate.
- For incumbents with an academic Legal Administrative Assistant Certificate, 2-4 years of Legal Assistant experience in real estate law.
- For non-academic incumbents, 5-6 years’ experience as a Legal Assistant in the area of real estate law during which 90% of the time was spent performing all or most of the tasks set out in the Law Society of British Columbia’s Professional Conduct Handbook, Chapter 12, Rules 4-8, and general office experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and understanding of Legal Administrative Assistant work practices and processes and the workings of a legal office
- Thorough knowledge of the documentation process in real property transactions
- Knowledge and understanding of the Legal Administration’s policies and procedures and of the Commission’s mandate and programs
- Ability to handle both residential and commercial conveyances and financing and to process transactions from start to finish
- Ability to deal with the BC Land Title registration system, land title agents and lending institutions and with the Corporate Registry and Personal Property Security Act Registry
- Ability to set up conveyance filing and administrative systems
- Ability to research and analyze legal issues, provide opinion regarding the application of policies and standards, and draft correspondence, legal documents and agreements
- Ability to manage complex administrative tasks, prioritize large volumes of work, work under pressure, meet deadlines and exercise good judgment in dealing with matters of a confidential nature
- High standards of grammar, spelling, punctuation and accuracy, and proficiency in the use of legal terms
- Proficiency in the use of word processing, database and spreadsheet software and ability to type at a minimum of 50 wpm.
- Ability to exercise discretion, tact, diplomacy and good judgment
HOW TO APPLY:
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications and competencies. To be considered for this competition, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Your cover letter and resume should be submitted as one document in your profile when applying for this position. Please add your cover letter to your resume and submit both documents as your resume.
Please review the Job Description prior to applying
(When there is a pop up asking if you wish to view only secure items, press no)
As part of the application process, you will be prompted to fill out a questionnaire which must be completed in order for your application to be considered. Please allot up to 5 minutes to fill it out after submitting your resume and cover letter as one single document.
Only applications submitted using the Online Recruitment System at www.bchousing.org/careers will be accepted
If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your expertise to engage in a meaningful and challenging work, please apply to join our team today at www.bchousing.org/careers
We didn’t become one of BC’s Top Employers and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers without a lot of thought, care and consideration for our team and environment. Our supportive and collaborative workplace balances engaging and challenging work with personal development and wellness initiatives.