Manager, Renovation Centre
Manager, Renovation CentreRequisition ID: 13350
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Development Services, this operational management position provides leadership, upholds excellence in customer service, and oversees the day to day management and activities of a number of technical teams responsible for processing a variety of Development and Building permits. This position is also involved in bylaw and policy development in consultation with the applicable authorities, as well as overseeing continuous improvement projects with the Renovation Centre.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and guidance to cross-departmental team, including hiring, assigning responsibilities, evaluating performance, coaching, mentoring and training and development in consultation with supporting departments.
- Responsible for analyzing performance metrics and developing and managing strategies that monitor service levels and performance targets as it relates to permit delivery.
- Reviews the work of staff teams and provides technical guidance on By-laws, land use policy and regulations, and related issues.
- Oversee the implementation of new business processes to streamline the delivery of permits and services that support continuous improvement.
- Ensures final approval of all renovation permits is in compliance with the required authorities, and associated by-laws policies and guidelines.
- Oversees continuous improvement projects; prioritizes and recommends new projects to proceed, and ensures the effective integration and sustainment of ongoing and completed projects.
- Develops and implements procedures aimed at ensuring consistency in conjunction with other regulatory authorities, and excellence in services.
- Performs other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education, preferably a university degree supplemented by technical and administrative training at the post-secondary level, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Preference given to those with a Master’s.
- Extensive experience in a leadership or supervisory role, including considerable experience in individual performance management processes, coaching systems, and employee training.
- Experience negotiating, leading, and building good working relationships with staff and customers.
- Considerable industry experience in building design and construction.
- Experience supervising in a unionized environment with a specific focus on labour relations, recruitment and leading and managing employees.
- Extensive experience in the review and processing of permits in a municipal environment coupled with increasing responsibilities for managing staff teams or an equivalent combination of education training and experience.
- Extensive experience in the interpretation and application of the various by-laws and policies administered by Planning and Development, Buildings & Licensing.
- Valid Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive and practical knowledge of Zoning and Land Use and Building By-law requirements, policies and procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to lead positive change and provide clear expectation for achieving desired results.
- Ability to discern By-law requirements and identify project requirements in consultation with the respective By-law authorities and build relationships with various regulatory authorities that support the work
- Thorough knowledge of the full array of City approval processes related to land use, development and building on private property.
- Ability to recommend, develop and implement new work methods and procedures and to deal tactfully and effectively with a wide variety of internal and external customers.
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information with a high degree of discretion and impartiality.
- Ability to provide leadership, including developing support for City-wide policy and procedures.
- Ability to thrive under pressure and handle multiple tasks and changing priorities within tight time frames.
- Ability to represent the City on various internal and external regulatory and advisory committees.
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2019
Application Close: May 19, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.