Utility Worker I
Utility Worker IPosition Status: Full-Time Temporary (this position to last not later than August 2, 2019)
Department: Liquid Waste Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Our Liquid Waste Services Department is seeking a Utility Worker I who will enjoy working in a team environment that focuses on safety and environmental stewardship.
You are a self-starter, team player that likes to learn and advance their skills in the maintenance of a wastewater collections system.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered all inclusive.)
- Assists operations and maintenance staff in performing tasks such as minor construction, building forms, mixing concrete, grounds maintenance, brush cutting, channel clearing, etc.
- Performs and assists day to day operational duties.
- Operates ancillary equipment such as trucks, small tractors, lawnmowers, brush saws, weed eaters.
- Operates compressors, pneumatic tools, electrical power tool and chain saws.
- Performs site preparation and painting work.
- Works in confined spaces and conducts safety monitor duties as required.
- Assists in leak and/or other emergency repairs.
- Obtains tools and parts from warehouses.
- Pickup and delivery from suppliers.
- Works in compliance with all District safety policies, procedures and WCB regulations.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Ability to operate power and pneumatic tools.
- Mechanical ability and construction aptitude.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and demonstrate safety awareness.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Physically capable of performing work duties and willingness and ability to perform shift work.
- Valid B.C. driver’s license.
Note: This position will progress to Utility Worker II after 5 years experience in this classification OR 3 years experience and completion of Sacramento State Water Supply or Water Treatment or Wastewater Collection or Wastewater Treatment Level 1 and 2 courses, or an equivalent level of training.
Metro Vancouver seeks to achieve what humanity aspires to on a global basis – the highest quality of life embracing cultural vitality, economic prosperity, social justice and compassion, all nurtured in and by a beautiful and healthy natural environment.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by May 20, 2019.