Tradesperson 2 - Mechanic
Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Tradesperson 2 - Mechanic
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week*
$39.99 per hour + comprehensive benefits package
As a skilled journeyperson, you will perform mechanical overhaul, repair, servicing and maintenance work on City vehicles, heavy-duty equipment as well as other equipment as required. In addition, you will also perform a variety of gas and electrical welding tasks common to mechanical shop work.
If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
- Completion of a recognized mechanic trade apprenticeship plus journeyperson mechanic experience.
- Inter-provincial Trades Qualification as a Licensed Automotive Mechanic, a Commercial Transport Mechanic or a Heavy Duty Equipment Technician.
- Valid Class 3 Driver’s license for the Province of British Columbia with Air Brake Endorsement is considered an asset.
- Motor Vehicle Inspection Certificate with Air is considered an asset.
- A valid Pressure Fuel Certificate is considered an asset.
- Experience in a municipal environment, heavy duty mechanics, electrical diagnosis and working with Fire apparatus and Police vehicles would be considered assets.
- Thorough knowledge of the standards, practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the automotive and heavy-duty mechanical trade.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and proper safety precautions related to the work performed.
- You have the ability to perform a variety of complex, skilled mechanical and related tasks in the overhaul, repair, maintenance, and adjustment of a wide variety of automotive, small and heavy duty equipment and vehicles.
- You have the ability to establish and maintain superior working relationships with coworkers, suppliers and customers, and to provide excellent customer service.
- You have the ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions, interpret and work from schematics, manufacturer’s instructions, diagrams and sketches, and to maintain a variety of records.
- You have the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- You have the ability to operate a variety of vehicles and equipment and skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the trade.
- Must successfully pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check.
*Position works 2 weeks of day shifts (7:00 am – 3:30 pm) followed by 2 weeks of evening shifts (2:30 pm – 11:00 pm).
This position also participates in a Compressed Work Week Program. Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #19-36, by May 24, 2019 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604)527-4619 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.