Regular Full Time (35 hours per week)
The City of White Rock is a unique, ocean-side community of 20,000 citizens known for its sunny weather, expansive beach, historic pier, delightful restaurants, and sense of community. The City is located half an hour south of Vancouver on the shore of Semiahmoo Bay.
The Engineering & Municipal Operations team is growing. The City is seeking to add an Engineering Inspector to the organization on a full time (35 hours per week) permanent basis. The City supports a learning culture that provides opportunities for professional development both internally and externally. The Engineering division is a proud team that supports openness, respect and is safety conscious. The ideal candidate can work autonomously, is solution focused, with an eye for detail and can communicate with confidence to developers or other stakeholder.
The Engineering Inspector works closely with private contractors, developers, utilities companies and City crews, conducting comprehensive inspections to ensure compliance with a variety standards, MMCD and legislation. The role has the autonomy, based on inspections/test results, to reject all unsatisfactory workmanship or substandard quality of material used. If you enjoy working with a great team and having a balance of being in the office and out in the field, then this role just may be the right role for you.
- Diploma in Civil Engineering from a recognized technical institute OR Certification as a Public Works Inspector Two (Public Works Inspectors Society).
- Two years of considerable related experience in municipal engineering inspection and regulatory work, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Sound knowledge of the Master Municipal Construction Documents (MMCD).Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, tools and equipment used in the construction and installation of municipal services and facilities such as sewers, waterworks, roads, concrete structures and underground services.
- Considerable knowledge of the practices and methods used in inspecting, regulating and coordinating construction and installation projects performed by contractors.
- Sound knowledge of safety procedures and WorkSafe BC regulations.
- Knowledge of the physical layout of White Rock considered an asset;
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbal and written, and demonstrate excellent listening skills;
- Ability to deal tactfully with the public in a courteous, professional and effective manner;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external clients;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment;
- Ability to train inspectional staff as required.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license
The wage of this unionized position is $63,881 – $75,405 per annum (2019 rates) with comprehensive benefits offered. If your experience and education have prepared you for success in this role and you are committed to working in a manner that supports a respectful, healthy, and safe environment, we invite you to apply. Please submit your resume, driver abstract and certifications for consideration by the application deadline. Please note only complete applications will be considered.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Submit your application: Apply online at www.whiterockcity.ca/careers
Recruitment Reference: 2018-41
Thank you for your interest. Only selected applicants will be contacted
Please Note: this new position is posted “under review” meaning that a follow-up review be conducted with the incumbent to ensure the duties and valuation levels are appropriately captured.