Senior Financial Advisor
Senior Financial AdvisorCorporate Finance
Competition number: 131-2019-EXT-CFIN
Closing date: 04/30/2019
Job type: Permanent Full-time
Department: Corporate Finance
Pay range: $91,328 to $114,169 per year
Hours: 35 hours per week
The Senior Financial Advisor will provide expertise by contributing to the planning and delivery of comprehensive financial services for Strathcona County. Collaboration with senior department staff to facilitate a cohesive understanding between lines of business and Corporate Finance is integral to this role. This position will provide subject matter expertise as it applies to municipal financial policies, off-site development levies, finances and financial processes, various complex financial models, tax rate calculations, and ensuring corporate accountability.
- Manage and provide advice regarding the review, update, and implementation of financial policies and procedures to promote continuous improvement and alignment with legislation and current operations
- Develop and manage a multi-year work plan for financial policies, directives and procedures updates
- Manage, maintain and implement specific policies and associated directives and procedures including Expenditure Approvals within Approved Budget, Donations and Business Expense policies ensuring compliance while balancing operational and legislative requirements
- Coordinate and complete the annual tax rate bylaw calculations
- Provide high level financial oversight and advice to maintain and enhance complex financial models and corporate projects to support evidence based decisions
- Liaise with Corporate Planning to oversee the Long Term Financial Sustainability Framework implementation, application, and continuous improvement
- Prepare financial reports, briefings, and presentations for management, Executive Team and Council
- Provide strategic financial advice and analysis on emergent adhoc matters and projects as delegated by the Manager of Financial Coordination and Director of Corporate Finance
- Lead the financial oversight of off-site development levies in accordance with relevant legislation, accounting and County policies, principles and procedures
- Supervise the Senior Financial Analyst to ensure accuracy and timeliness of information, efficient use of resources, and high level of customer service
- Support the Manager of Financial Coordination, Director of Corporate Finance and other senior representatives in achieving the goals of the branch, department and County
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to provide leadership for the development and management of corporate financial policies, directives and procedures; off-site development levies; and complex financial analysis used for evidence based decisions
- Sound knowledge of Public Sector Accounting Standards and the Municipal Government Act
- Strategic, critical thinking and analytical skills, including ability to analyze a variety of inputs and risks, resolve issues, and recommend actions aligned with the County's strategic plans
- Strong managerial and human resource skills to provide direction, train, coach, and motivate staff
- Ability to make effective decisions, solve problems and provide recommendations within a political setting
- Ability to work under pressure, manage a variety of projects and initiatives simultaneously
- and regularly meet tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills, including ability to lead teams and cross-department work groups to achieve department and corporate goals
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to provide accurate, clear and concise recommendations and supporting analysis in written and oral presentations to Council, Executive Team, Directors, and senior department representatives
- Sound understanding of software, computers, financial information, and integrated ERP systems
- Professional Accounting designation (CPA, CGA, CMA, CA)
- Minimum 7 years of related and progressively responsible, post designation experience
- Experience with complex financial analysis and models, policy development and implementation, off-site development levies, and municipal experience would be considered an asset
Equivalencies of education and experience may be considered. In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply, go to: https://www.strathcona.ca/council-county/careers/opportunity/131-2019-ext-cfin/
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies for similar positions within the next 6 months.
Competition #131-2019-EXT-CFIN closes April 30, 2019
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.