Communications Operator 1
The Corporation of the City of North Vancouver
Communications Operator 1
The City of North Vancouver - Police Administration Department requires several auxiliary Communications Operator 1s to work at the RCMP Detachment as 911 call takers. Whether you are an experienced 911 call taker or someone new to the field of public safety communications as a call taker, this may be the opportunity for you!
You will perform responsible specialized work, often under stressful circumstances, while answering 911 and non-emergency calls. You will obtain and enter all critical and pertinent information from callers into police computer programs, determine and prioritize the caller’s needs, and route the information to the dispatcher, initiating an appropriate police response. You will use CPIC, PRIME and CAD, monitor various radio channels, and operate and maintain communications equipment.
If you have a strong desire to help people, and like to work in a fast paced environment, we may have a training opportunity for you in our Operational Communications Centre as a 911 call taker. You must have the ability to think quickly and critically while remaining calm in emergency situations. You are assertive and can take control of situations, have superior computer and multi-tasking skills, work well in a team environment, and have excellent interpersonal skills along with the ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public. You will also have following skills, knowledge and abilities:
- Ability to type at a net speed of 40 wpm
- Related education, training and/or experience
- Ability to do shift work (both day and night shifts, and weekends/holidays)
- Demonstrated work experience in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment
Previous emergency call taking experience is an advantage but not required as training will be provided. Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Public Safety Communications Certificate
- Considerable knowledge of North Vancouver and surrounding geography
- Familiarity with Criminal Code of Canada, Motor Vehicle Act, and other applicable legislation, bylaws and regulations
- Strong interest in progressing to Communications Operator 2 (Dispatcher)
You will be required to obtain and maintain an RCMP security clearance as a condition of ongoing employment.
$25.31 to $29.74 per hour, plus 12% in lieu of benefits
(Pay Grade 15 – January 2019 rates)
Hours of Work:
Shift Work – 24/7 operations
Apply on-line through the Career Portal at www.cnv.org prior to 5:00 p.m. Thursday, April 25, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in the City of North Vancouver.