Building Code Engineer
Building Code Engineer
Requisition ID: 12918
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Manager of the Building Permit Review Branch, the Building Code Specialist reviews the most complex, and supervises staff who review moderately complex, building permit application plans and specifications for residential, commercial and industrial developments for compliance with the Building By-law, Fire By-law and other related City by-laws and guidelines.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Building Code Specialist is responsible for the following:
- Assists design professionals, developers, contractors, builders and the general public with general enquiries and project development, primarily through the City's Certified Professional Program
- Provides technical information, assistance and direction to other City staff and customers
- Performs detailed technical analysis of fire safety equivalents and life safety proposals; coordinates project workflow and review through other City departments
- Maintains accurate records for plan review status and work performed
- Holds meetings with design professionals, consultants, contractors and developers regarding interpretation of by-laws, codes and guidelines
- Conducts occasional reviews and examination of buildings in the field
- Supervises and supports 2-3 technical staff in their work of reviewing moderately complex building permit applications
Education and Experience:
- University graduation with an Engineering degree, with registration or eligibility as a P.Eng in the Province of British Columbia
- Preference will be given to candidates with considerable experience in plans examination, fire protection engineering, mechanical engineering, field review of life safety systems and/or building technology
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience and knowledge of building design and construction
- Strong familiarity with building materials and construction practices is required
- Project management of multi-disciplinary projects
- Supervisory or management experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to deal with the public in person or over the telephone
Business Unit/Department: Development Services, Building & Licencing (1250)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2019
Position End Date: February, 2020 with possibility of extension till April 2021
Application Close: May 1, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.