Manager Security Operations - Engineering
Manager Security Operations - EngineeringRequisition ID: 13211
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Security Operations – Engineering, is responsible for the development and delivery of site-based protection programs and security services within Engineering Services. In consultation with internal and external stakeholders, this position will create and implement policies, procedures and security plans, while promoting a culture of safety of security within the assigned portfolio. Including both strategic and operational aspects of security, this role provides integrated advisory and oversight functions to deliver established targets and manages security staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic and Operational Planning
- Works with business partners and Engineering leadership to understand and anticipate business needs and develop and implement security plans to achieve assigned goals and objectives.
- Oversees the development and delivery of security operating plans, establishing clear targets and measures in alignment with operating level agreements.
- Develops and implements mitigation strategies, policies and procedures to ensure the physical protection of people, assets and information within the assigned portfolio.
- Obtains and reviews security information to lead a data driven and risk based approach, through site assessments and incident reviews.
- Leads the implementation of effective loss prevention programs by overseeing loss investigations, implementing risk reduction strategies and assessing financial and other related losses.
- Recommends and supports the implementation of site specific protective or corrective measures based on results of Security Vulnerability and/or Threat Risk Assessments, trends, incidents and survey results across the Engineering Business Unit.
Leadership and Management
- Leads the implementation of operations programs and sets short and long-range goals and objectives, policies, procedures and standards to support the vision of City Protective Services and Engineering management.
- Develops and manages reporting security staff, including selection, training, coaching, performance management and all other people practices.
- Ensures all reporting security staff meet and maintain minimum qualifications, training requirements and up-to-date knowledge of current technology, techniques and tools.
- Leads the day to day delivery of programs, services and activities for security operations within the Engineering portfolio.
- Provides leadership to ensure the effective management of significant security incidents or events.
- Provides strategic oversight to the management of known events such as demonstrations, protests or threats to City staff, elected officials and assets.
- Acts as a liaison and provides consultative advice regarding security/protection activities; participates in the development of action plans regarding security issues including the investigation and determination of appropriate outcomes; provides advice to and participates with Labour Relations, Directors, Managers and others in security investigations and activities involving staff.
- Requests and oversees the efficient use and deployment of contracted security staff, through the integrated security contract
- Develops and implements innovative business solutions, programs and services, provides leadership and oversight on projects, and collaborates with others on integrated solutions and initiatives across the City of Vancouver.
- Provides after hours on-call function for City Protective Services as assigned.
- Develops and monitors budget and expenses for assigned portfolio; flags and escalates issues to Senior Manager, Security Operations as necessary.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education in a related field, preferably an Undergraduate Degree or equivalent education and experience.
- Industry recognized memberships (ex. ASIS, CATAP, etc.) and professional certification preferred.
- Extensive management experience in security operations (minimum 5 years) in both contract or corporate environments.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to develop and foster relationships and collaborate with client groups and colleagues.
- Working knowledge of related legislation and statutes.
- Knowledge of risk management concepts and practices.
- Subject matter expertise of key components of a security management plan and security program development, as well as a strong understanding of use and limitations of systems technology, including alarms, access control, CCTV as well as the integration of same.
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information with a high degree of discretion and impartially.
- Ability to converse with, writes reports for, and create/deliver presentations in ways that support problem solving and planning.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion and work effectively within a team environment.
- Ability to prepare and deliver training material.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate subordinate staff in a variety of work locations.
- Skilled in conflict resolution and the ability to identify potential pitfalls and problems areas.
- Skilled in the use of computer systems and comfort in learning new computer systems.
- Valid BC Driver’s License.
- Ability to pass and maintain a criminal record check.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May 2019
Application Close: April 24, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.