Recreation Coordinator - Aquatics
Recreation Coordinator - AquaticsJob Id:
Parks, Recreation & Culture
$33.45 - $39.39 per hour
April 28, 2019
Come grow with us! Maple Ridge located in Metro Vancouver is a vibrant and rapidly growing City with outstanding recreation, arts and cultural amenities and some of the most affordable housing in the region. This combined with a dynamic community makes Maple Ridge a great place to work, play and live. Come join us and be part of the change.
Are you a team player with a “can do attitude”, excellent communication, interpersonal skills and exceptional customer service skills? We have the perfect opportunity for you.
The Recreation Manager, Health and Wellness oversees the Aquatics area and is looking for a collaborative and cutting edge leader in the role of full time Aquatics Coordinator. This individual will have the unique opportunity to recruit, train and have a significant influence in setting program direction and in developing a new aquatics staff team in the reopening of the Maple Ridge Leisure Centre after a 17 month renovation closure. The opportunity requires a personable, innovative, team-oriented and highly organized individual, capable of leading and mentoring 50+ staff and who strives to create inclusive and accessible programs and services in aquatics. Aquatics is a fun, fast paced, high-energy environment and as Maple Ridge’s lone indoor pool, the Coordinator has a significant influence in leading innovation in community aquatics. .
Your key responsibilities are:
Overseeing the aquatics operations and working alongside peers in other functions in support of the entire Maple Ridge Leisure Centre. You will be supervising the work of an Aquatics Programmer, Aquatic Leader Supervisors and indirectly lifeguard/instructors.
A little bit about your abilities:
- Develop, implement, and direct a widely varied program of aquatic programs and events on the bases of community needs and trends.
- Plan, assign, review, supervise and evaluate the work of full time and part-time staff responsible for aquatic instruction and life-guarding; participates in the recruitment of same.
- Plan and conduct in-service training of staff
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with 3 swim clubs, School District 42 representative, other local and regional service agencies; patrons and other organizations to assist in the development of programs and services grounded in accessibility and inclusion.
- Work collaboratively with other departments both in day to day operations and in the development of new policies, practices and procedures and in short and long-term strategy development.
- Know your way around pool maintenance, including the pool mechanical and filtration systems.
- Prepare Council reports, cost-benefit analysis’, market research, complex policy development and have the ability to project manage.
- Analyze, adjust and monitor operating and staff revenues and expenses. Be very familiar with budgeting.
- Calmly and rationally respond to major first aids and other situations and incidents for the safety of staff and customers.
Education & Experience:
University graduation with a Bachelor’s degree in Recreation or a related discipline plus sound related experience, including supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
You must have held National Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor certifications in the past and have been a practicing lifeguard.
Licenses & Certificates:
- Standard First-Aid Certificate
- Basic Cardiac Life Support – Level “C”/Basic Rescuer and AED
- Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia.
Preference will be given to those applicants who currently hold or are currently enrolled in courses to obtain:
- Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- National Lifesaving Instructor Trainer
- First Aid Instructor
- Pool Operator Level 1 and 2
The successful candidate will be required to complete a Police Information Check as a condition of employment. (Note – not required a part of the application process; however, will be required upon consideration for employment)
All required licenses, certificates and registrations associated with this competition must also be valid and current at the time the postings close and must be attached with your application. Please have these documents ready to upload when you apply.
What we offer you:
The City offers a competitive compensation package that includes a strong wellness program and the opportunity for career and professional development.
If you want to help shape a growing community in a municipality that strives for service excellence, then this is the position for you.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.